Manhole cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I saw this today when I was looking at a job.

You would think they would have made the slab fit the whole of the tray. In their defence, there are two 'sort of' handles at each side of the tray (inside), you can just about see them in the photo, they come level with the proposed slab, which means the slab would hit them.

Should they have cut the slab exactly the correct size of the manhole tray, and then cut some of the slab away to make room for these handles.

Hope that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
no its a lazy ****e way of doing it. The slab should have been cut to follow the pattern of tha paving, no matter how complicated. its a pain to do, but looks so much better than that pile of crap

Thermo, I agree with that, but on another point if you look closely, if they leave it like that there will be like a double joint gap because they haven't taken the slab to the edges of the manhole tray.

But they can't take the slab to the edges of the tray because there are those black handle type things in the tray (at the sides).

What is the correct way to do this.

My guess is that there are different types of manhole lids with different lifting options, and that they've not used the appropriate one.

Or they could have cut the stone to fit the cover properly and just cut away bits to leave slots at the lifting areas.

Sponsored Links
I take it ,this was a cash job with a mobile phone number.

The paving slabs around the edge have different size gaps.

Not a professional job.

Andy

normally we would cut a slab so it fits up to the edge of the cover. that includes cutting out at each end for the handles. ill post a picture when i get a chance.

as herts says very poor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back