manhole in footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i am looking at building a conservatory but have a manhole that falls directly in the middle of the footings my question is would i be able to lintel over it with concrete lintels, the man hole would fall half in and half out of the conservatory, thanks in advance for your replys.

Sponsored Links
If you put a lintel over it, how would you get the cover off if you ever needed to rod it or anything like that?

IMHO, you need to either redesign your conservatory so it does not cross the manhole or move the manhole (difficulty depends on how deep it is, type of construction and number of pipes connecting to it).

I suppose if you really have no other option you could design the conservatory so you had a doorway over the manhole, you would need to replace the cover with a sealed one at the same level as the internal floor and make some provision for removing a section of the threshold to get the cover off. But it would be a bit of a bodge and not recommended.

the manhole is of brick construction about 1.5m deep and has 3 pipes connected to it, it is at ground level which is roughly 300mm to 400mm below my dcp lvl on the house so there will be 3 to 4 course of brick build up to my floor lvl, giving me roughly 300mm clearance easly enough to remove the manhole lid and rod if there ever was a problem.

Sponsored Links
can not move wall, if i move it to the left of manhole it runs into the door on the house if i move it to the right of the manhole the soil stack would be insde the conservatory, im very limited as to where it can go as there are 2 windows a door and soil stack to consider ,hense my question can the manhole be linteled over so long as i can open the lid to rod if ever needed

It is simply not practical to build a wall directly over an inspection chamber.

Besides which, at 1.5m deep means your conservatory footings are going to need to be rather deep themselves.

You are better off designing the connie with a set-back at this point so that the I.C. is outdoors.

thanks for your replys guys thats solved that one, another quick one would it be possible to have the ic inside the conny with a sealed lid put on and a hatch in the floor if ever it was needed to be accessed i know this is not ideal but would this be feesable ?

Yes, there are special sealed manhole covers made for this application. However, if the sewer blocked and the manhole overflowed as can happen if your cover is lower than others.... what a mess inside your conny.

Mind you, it is supposed to be sealed, so what might happen then, would it blow off with a loud fart type explosion?

would it blow off with a loud fart type explosion?
:LOL:
i guess if i just lifted and checked it every now and again would prevent the loud fart like explosion :LOL: thanks again for the advise[/quote]

If you had seen weeks of poo in an I.C. as I did once, you would not be :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I assure you ;)

I had to take a picture of it just in case it cleared on its own (then I would be charged the £20- £30 callout fee by Thames water for a false alarm).

My camera stopped working for a day after that due to the shock of what it had seen :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back