Markings on pavement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is not really a DIY question, but I though this was the right place to find a knowledgable person.

Last week the following markings appeared outside my house and the neighbours (both sides of a semi-detached house), and also on the NTL/Virgin cabinet (green box, top photo) outside the neighbours.

Does it look like vandalism - in which case I will contact eh council graffiti department, or could it be marking relating to some possible future work - I was thinking they may indicate the location of cables/pipes in the ground.

Do these look like legitimate markings or not?

Sponsored Links
It might be warchalking, google for it if you aren't aware of what it is.
But, I can't dechiper it if it is, so maybe it is just grafiti.

If you or your neighbour (or someone in your street) has wireless LAN at home, it might be time to look at securing it....

Cheers
-Dan

Just what I was thinking.

If you have a laptop, nip out & search for new networks, then just hope its not yours :D

Or it could be some kid has discovered how to write :D

Sponsored Links
water company surveyors use blue paint to mark services.

the surveyor will mark a trench dig prior to the digger boys arriving or indicate a dodgy road stop cock etc.

probably.

Just 'sniffed' for wireless networks using Network Stumbler. I can find 2 when standing on the blue marks. One is mine, the other is not. Both are shown as encrypted using WEP (although I KNOW mine is WPA)

I'll have a look into the water supply idea... although the stop cocks are about 2-3 metres away from the blue marks in each case.

The marks appear to be WC and CW. Looks like they have gone over it twice (in all three cases)- its not just a blurry photo!!

water comany - comany water.
tommy_cooper.jpg

Nick it! It could be a Banksy!

:cool: Worth ££££££££££££'ssss

it's adverts for "charlie chang" He's coming back on the telly...
(who's charlie chang) :LOL:

yep denoting water is in blue for example the want to lay a new gas pipe they will mark red electrics blue water ect

but because your marks are somtimes off the ground it could be someone doing catalouge/yellow pages ect drops marking what streets they have done!!!

thoise marks appear to be in chalk, but official markings by utilities and others are done using those upside-down paint spay cans.

I would be inclined to wash them off, and frustrate the culprits by drawing similar marks randomly about the street.

No utility company making official markings would do so on a street cab as that'd be criminal damage, so it's 99.9% likely to be graffiti.

The markings are in paint not chalk. This is what made me think they may be genuine. I now feel fairly confident they were made by some local pond life, might ring the council and ask them to make it go away.

Sponsored Links
Back