Massive gap between skirting board and floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a new build and the defects period is about to end soon. The ground floor has granite tiles (or something similar) in the kitchen and bathroom, and the gap between the bottom of the skirting board and the tiles is huge, about 15mm. Picture attached. Is this normal? I'm guessing the floor has settled, but not sure. The company's handyman seems addicted to silicone sealant, and I suspect he'll use that to fill the gap. I have a feeling that wouldn't be a great solution, so can anyone recommend the best fix for this?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sure that's not your ceiling? :D
Possibly a floating floor and sank with the weight of tiles, or you have a leak and the sub floors turned to mush.
Sloppy job but unfortunately quite common in new builds.

Sure that's not your ceiling?
oops… I swear I didn't take that upside down...

I'm guessing there's no easy way to check if it's a leak, but there's no sign of it in the basement. How can they patch this up though? Or better just to live with it? It's not draughty or anything but I can imagine mice strolling right through without ducking.

Too large a gap for just silicon, either the skirting needs to be refitted or a trim added.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back