Matching elec wires different colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need to put in place a connector box as I am installing a light in the lounge. The wires from the ceiling are red, green/yellow and blue, the colours I have in the connector box are brown, blue and white, can someone advise which ones I should match please?

Thanks

Charn

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for your reply please see attached pics

Attachments

• IMG_4418.JPG
    IMG_4418.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_4419.JPG
    IMG_4419.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 160
The wire coming from the ceiling is back, not blue. Red-Black-Green/Yellow was standard for pre-2004 cable. I don't quite understand your connector block. Is that part of a light fitting? The wires don't seem to go anywhere - could you clarify?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The connector box came from the old lighting all the cables where in there, not quite sure on the white one...as I did put that one in myself.....I need to put in a connector box as the existing cables from the ceiling are too short...what should I do,,,? Please

The connector box came from the old lighting all the cables where in there, not quite sure on the white one...as I did put that one in myself.....I need to put in a connector box as the existing cables from the ceiling are too short...what should I do,,,? Please
Can we have a photo of the connections of the light fitting you wish to install?

Kind Regards, John

Charn - please, please, please take a bit of time to learn the basics of domestic electrical wiring (this really is very basic stuff).

Trying to do electrical work by guessing is dangerous, and trying to do it by following instructions to "put-this-wire-in-that-hole" without actually understanding why is foolish.

Your "connector box" is just a terminal strip, and those old bits of wire don't go anywhere and don't do anything, and none of it is part of a light fitting.

If you don't already know which of the conductors coming from your ceiling are L, N, E, and can't tell which terminals on the light they should go to by looking at the instructions them you ought to get an electrician.

Light fitting and connector box fitting wires

Attachments

• IMG_4418.JPG
    IMG_4418.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4419.JPG
    IMG_4419.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 92
The first is not a light fitting, and neither is the second.

The second is just a bit of connector block and a few old bits of wire which do nothing and have no relationship to anything.

deleted
Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Light fitting and connector box fitting wires
You have merely re-posted the original pictures. As I asked before, would it be possible to have a photo of the new light fitting, showing where the connections are made?

Kind Regards, John

I will call an electrical engineer. Thanks again to all that have posted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back