material for temporary driveway surface

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had some building work finished and as the drive (which was in a poor way before) has been used as the builders yard and the difference in the new slab height of the garage floor, we need to renew the driveway.

We know what we would like for a longterm finish but as moneys tight, need to put down a temporary/cheap surface so that the car can get in and out of the garage.

The drive slopes (fairly gently) up to the garage from pavement level and is only an estate cars length.

Any suggestions for a temporary finish? it was previously chips, which didn't work as they kept spilling out on to the pavement due to the slope!

thanks

Sponsored Links
Why not prep' the base with mot type 1 (30mm - dust). It self compacts to a degree and will be an ideal sub base for any paved surface above.

It could be left down low enough, say 90mm, then ramp up to the garage and the drive entrance.

or theres the road scrapings (from resurfacing works),cant remember what theyre called at mo.

Sponsored Links
just go for mot. will save money later on when you come to put something decent down.

so if i go for mot laid at the right level for the eventual finish surface and ramp it up at the slab of the garage (which I can remove when i do the finish surface) - if I get hold of a "Waccaplate" machine to get it really compact, is that worthwhile?

mot a great idea but keep in mind not the best foundation for a block paved drive. area where your tyres roll over will always sink over time, a concrete base is ideal.

the correct thickness of mot properly laid and compacted is more than adequate for block paving and will not sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back