max files

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have some files that are .max and tried to open them in notepad etc.
but all we get is jumbled up words whats the fix? anyone!!
TIA

Sponsored Links
Newgas,

.max files are usually scans that have been saved as Paperport files.

You can download the free Paperport Viewer and see if that will open them.

http://www.scansoft.com/paperport/viewers/

Are they supposed to be business related or are they games?

If games, and you have a PS2, that will also open them.

dave

iv just dowloaded the nuance paperpot,

now what do i do ?

i,m not too good with this sort of thing so clear instructions please :D

iv done it i, by opening it with paper port,

but it shows the book i scanned in various order ie. not page after page like it should be, and the pages are on their side view.

can this be sorted and put in book format now.??

whew i thought id lost the files :oops:

Sponsored Links
Sorry I didn't get back (having DNS problems myself).

As you still have all the files, allbeit in the wrong order, they are safe.
How many pages are there?

I downloaded the Viewer but as I don't have any .max files, I couldn't check it out.
Is there no options to change the order of the files in the software.

The folder with the .max files in, are the files showing as individual items?
If so, you could try renaming each one in turn with a number after its name. Number the first file ( page 1) and the next in order (Page 2)
Once done the folder should arrange then in numerical order, or right click a blank space in the folder and select arrange icons and select Auto Arrange and also Name.
What scanner software did you use to scan them originally?

If you don't hav ethe book to do another scan with different software, it may be worth printing the files off and scanning them again in the correct order.
dave

it was done on an 1998 visioneer onetouch 8700 scanner,

the items were stored at the time on an old laptop with windws98 1st version,

they were stored as seperate items and were just recently put on a cd to tansfer to my current pc,

i will have a go at naming and numbering them but was just asking if there is some sort of program to have them set up as a book format?

I have used this free on-line booklet creator before but it only takes PDF files and only about 20MB.

http://bookletcreator.com/

It may take .max files because they are similar to PDF . May be worth a try if no-one comes up with anything else.

dave

PDF files are pretty easy to work with, it may be worth downloading PDF Creator:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/
and use it as a virtual printer to save the .max files as.

Once installed, you could open one of the .max files and click File > Print setup and select the PDF Creator as the desired printer and then click Print.
It does not actually print onto paper but stores the file as a PDF in a new folder.

Once you have them all in there, you can sort them out easier.

dave

dave i have downloaded pdf creator and saved a few pages in adobe,

just to try and sort out the pages in adobe i had a look and the front cover of the book has been scanned upside down .

i can rotate this but cannot save it any ideas on this and is adobe a good program to sort this problem? .

i havent tried your booklet creator as yet.

You must only have the free Adobe Reader which allows you to rotate for viewing only, it will not allow alterations to be saved.

There isn't any PDF editor that is free as far as I know.

If not too many, and you have another scanner or a all-in-one printer, print them off and organise them into the correct order and scan them again.

dave

too many pages dave about 400,

i'll see where i get to anyhows an keep you informed ;)

Have you got the book title or the ISBN number, you could google it to see if it is still available.
dave

it's just an old fault finding book dave by RD treloar(i think.

and i put it on my old laptop quite a while ago, i just wanted to put it whith my other stuf on my new pc for reference if needed.

organisation isnt one of my strong points :D

Sponsored Links
Back