Max shower on 6mm cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My shower is pants (magicoal), I wanted to replace it but have found the feed is only 6mm, although it does go to it's own fuse/trip switch.
The existing shower is a 8.5Kw, so I would have thought same again would be fine but other posts on here now suggest I would need a 10mm cable which I'd rather avoid as it means expensive inspections.

What is the best shower I can get with a 6mm feed?

Cheers
David

Sponsored Links
[yawn] What is the value of the CPD on the shower circuit? [/yawn]

and

re:

it does go to it's own fuse/trip switch.

How else could it be connected? Sharing the lighting circuuit, maybe?

How else could it be connected? Sharing the lighting circuuit, maybe?

Well in this house of horrors, quite possibly. If the garage is anything to go by I wouldn't have been suprised to see it connected up to the nearest lamp post.
I was pointing out it was at least correctly connected, thanks for your most helpful comment.

You didnt answer the important bit in Taylors post.

What is the rating of the fuse/MCB that its connected to?

Also, how is the cable routed?

Sponsored Links
You will need to check out the Manufacturers instructions but 6mm T&E clipped direct and without any derating factors has a current carrying capacity of 47 Amps.
8.5kw shower draws 36Amps.
So you will need a 40Amp MCB and RCD protection for any replacement shower in 8.5kw range.

However, if you do have a house of horrors better get it checked first by an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back