Maximum length of flexible Steel Gas meter connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there all,
I thought I might ask you guys this, as I am having trouble finding the right info.
I need to move a gas meter from a wall that is being removed, and I was wondering if I am allowed to remove the short flexible gas meter connector, (Aft ther isolation tap) and replace it with a longer one so that it can reach the adjacent wall?

Also is there a maximum flexible hose length to conform with building regs and safety.

Edit: Sorry, all work will be done by a gas safe engineer and not myself.

Thanks guys and girls.

Tom

Sponsored Links
"I need to move a gas meter..."

Think perhaps you've used the wrong words, it should say : "I need a gas meter moved....."

That is what I thought as well, and so I spoke with national grid and the gentlement I spoke to very clearly walked me through all the options. he told me that as long as I do not need to extend the pipe before the shut off valve I can get a gas safe engineer to come in and move it, although the short metal hose connector can reach where I want to relocate the meter, I was hoping to move it a little more as I know you can buy Flexible steel connectors at various lengths up to 750mm.

The question is really, am I able to replace the flexible connector or am I forced to keep the older shorter one, and if I can replace it what is the maximum as I remember once seeing a 1200mm connector a few months back.

Kind regards

T

Sponsored Links
Ah hahah I see what you mean, sorry about that, yes all work would be done by a gas safe heating engineer and not myself.

God I don't trust myself cooking never mind messing about with gas pipes.

Hi there all,

I need to move a gas meter from a wall that is being removed, and I was wondering if I am allowed to remove the short flexible gas meter connector, (Aft ther isolation tap) and replace it with a longer one so that it can reach the adjacent wall?

Tom

You have used words which imply that its YOU who intend to do it.

No mention of any Gas Safe person!

Tony

You'll need to find a Gas Safe Registered installer with a MET1 qualification in order to have the anaconda replaced

That's great, so I can replace the anaconda gas meter connector.

But does anone know what's the maximum length I can use.

T

Er... no!

YOU cannot replace it.

But a gas reg engineer CAN !

As far as I am aware it can also be done in fixed pipework if the meter is adequately supported.

Dear Agile,
As stated above I will do non of the work myself this is a development and I will need everything checked and signed for, when I say "I" I am referring as a project manager regarding my project.

But I am glad that this is possible to do, but if A fixed fixed pipe work is installed that means WE would have to put another isolation valve, isn't it easier to just replace the short flexi hose with a longer one?

Thanks for the responses I appreciate the advise.

Kind regards

T

existing supply - existing isolation valve - new fixed line - new anaconda - existing gas regulator - existing meter

Fixed line items can be after the isolation valve but I'd surmise all components up to and including the meter "belong" to your gas supplier

Compared with a copper tube and iso valve a flexible tube will be many times the cost.

But I only "think" that a rigid pipe can be used! I would need to look up the regs to be sure!

I do not "think" that a second iso valve is needed if the first is within arms reach and in the same compartment as the first.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back