May have figured out why my honda keeps overheats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is by no means 100% solution because I still think it could be the head gasket. But here are my deductions. The car in question is a 2003 Honda civic with 140k on it. The car has been overheating for awhile, I've had mechanics check it out and had a new radiator cap and thermostat put on. Fan and electrical issues were investigated and the car was checked for air pockets. Then it was thought to be a blown head gasket, a pressure test was done to check for leaks first then a chemical test was done to see if the gasket was blown. It came back negative. Sua chua oto bmw I looked for the signs of a blown head such as white pummels of smoke and a milky dipstick, it had neither. After investigation online and taking notes on my car I've come to the conclusion that it's the water pump, which was the last thing the mechanic suggested it could be after he said it could be a pinhole leak in the gasket.

The reason I don't think it's the head gasket is because everyday I put in 2-3gal of antifreeze and I drive 60mi a day so much antifreeze going in such a short amount of time into the engine without pummels of smoke and a milky dipstick doesn't add up. I know the a/c hot air acts as another radiator so I usually have it on full blast the entire trip. As I near the end of 60mi I have to idle or drive slowly and I will begin to notice a temperature difference from hot to cold and not soon after the temperature gauge begins to climb and I have to pull over and add more antifreeze. Thiet ke web ban hang I looked around the engine after it overheated and noticed that around the reservoir there was coolant sprayed everywhere particularly downwards and on the air intake. The reason I think it's the water pump is because I've read that if the water pump malfunctions than the coolant cannot circulate correctly and will cause the car to overheat and this will send it straight to the reservoir.

Does this sound correct to you all? I think I am on the right track since everything else has been checked off

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have to agree with that one......frequently water pumps use plastic impellers that simply come adrift, causing the water not to circulate.
If the head gasket is sound, a new pump would be my plan of action.
Presumably the car isn't on it's original timing belt? It makes sense to change the pump at the same time, usually.
Keep topping the coolant up until it's sorted! The 8v engine is a cutie to work on, not sure about the 16v.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back