MCB & Replaicingf Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone tell me what the regulations on old fuse boxes in regards to \\\' should they be replaced an MCB and also, how often should houses be rewired.
Reason for asking is a friend of mine has just bought a house built in the 30\\\'s but it has modern wiring, a meter fitted in 1985 and an old style fuse box.
Someone told him that the wiring should be replaced every 20 years but I have never heard of this.

Any info appreciated

Sponsored Links
Not sure where the \\\ came from. If you just ignore them but the rest of the message is valid.

Sponsored Links
It is recommended that a modern Consumer Unit containing MCB's is installed for increased safety, but NOT a regulation.

MCB's are more sensitive to fault currents and can act far quicker than old fuse wire, in cutting off the power, should a fault develop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back