mcb types

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, been reading problems on this forum and what comes up a lot is the types of mcbs ex: type b type c and so on can any one explain them are direct me to a site that i can read up on thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The type is referring to the magnettic setting of the MCB. For type B the magnetic setting is 3-5x its rating, for type C it is 5-10x its rating and type D it is 10-20x its rating.
This operates to switch the MCB off very fast, usually within 0.1seconds.
The type is important when you select an MCB as if you have a few heavy loads such as wire wound transformers or a few fluorescent fittings on a type B it may switch off when in normal use. This is when we use a type C. Other applications which have a higher inrush current (when switched on) such as welders may need a type D.
Going back to above, to ensure the MCB trips quickly to remove the fault we need to ensure the current flowing in the circuit exceeds the higher of the values. This is done ensuring the efli (earth fault loop impedance) for the circuit is low enough to ensure enough current flows. The maximum permittable efli for a type B can be given by 230/(5xrating), so for a 6A the maximum permittable efli is 230/30 = 7.66 ohms. For type C this halves i.e. 230/(10x6) = 3.83 ohms and for type D it halves again i.e. 230/(20x6) = 1.91 ohms.
These are max tabulated values i.e. when the cable is operating at its maximum operating temp, you need to multiply the answers by 0.8 to give max measured values for a normal twin and earth, conductor temp 10ºC.

The MCB is two devices in one.
The magnet part ensures very fast disconnection in the event of a short circuit.
The thermal part is much slower acting and works where we have an overload.
The 1,2,3 or 4 and on latter B, C, and D refers to the magnet part and are multipliers so B=5, C=10 and D=20 therefore a B6 MCB with trip with a 30 amp short circuit or 6 amp overload.
Wikipedia is good for explaining these sort of things.

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93406

This will help for starters.

Basically, the different types of CB are designed for different jobs.

The higher the designation, the more tolerant they are of surge or start-up currents, but the lower the maximum earth fault loop impedance that circuit must have.

This is the resistance of the (L-E) earth fault path taken during a fault situation.

The resistance (or impedance) should be mimimal so that enough fault current can flow very quickly to earth, thus operating the protective device, disconnecting the supply and making the faulty part of the installation safe.

Circuits protected by C type breakers must have a maximum earth fault loop impedance half that of B types. Similarly, D type protected circuits (rarely used outside industry or medical environments) must have a maximum EFLI half that of C types.

Pah and double pah! Stop to think about my reply & you's lot beat me to it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back