mcb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there im hoping someone out there might be able to help me out

we have a new cooker and its been fine for 3 weeks now it constantly trips the mcb

i have replaced the cooker face plate for a new one just in case it was that, it wasnt

next i replaced the cooker wire to the junction box no joy

then bypassed the the junction box and wired directly to back of cooker face plate with no joy

i dont even turn the cooker on, it trips as soon as i turn the mcb back on

if i disconnect the cooker altogether and tur mcb back on its fine and when i also put kettle on because it has a plug socket its fine

but the minute i connect the cooker back up and push the mcb switch back up it trips straight away

i have turned all other mcbs off and light mcbs off and then tryed to turn cooker mcb back up it still trips

the cable im using is 30 amp and its a beko cooker same as the last one

i had the cooker is on its own mcb has any one any ideas as i havent eaten properly for days now

Sponsored Links
If it is an MCB (and not an RCD), either it is being overloaded or the cooker is faulty.

What is the rating of the MCB, and the rating of the cooker?

What do you mean by '30A cable' ?

My guess would be you have shorted the neutral in the supply cable to the cooker switch to earth or the same thing in the flying lead.

it trips the mcb and the rcd

the cable i used from junction boc to cooker is rated at 30 amps

the rating of cooker i dont know only as "b" rating

the mcb rating is 40

and the rcd is 63/30

Sponsored Links
any ideas please this is driving me nuts

if i call out the company i bought the cooker off and it turns out not to be the cooker i get charged and cant afford this at this time

i cant understand why as soon as i connect the cooker it trips where as its been fine for 3 weeks before this

Let me check this:

If you take the cooker cable out of its connector, the MCB and RCD do not trip. Even if you plug in a kettle to the socket on the cooker switch. Is that right?

And you say that if the cooker supply switch is turned on, with the cooker connected, both the RCD and the MCB trip immediately, even if none of the rings or oven are turned on. Is that right?

If so
1) Examine the cooker cable for damage, e.g. where a heavy appliance such as a cooker has been put down on the cable and crushed it

2) Did you put a new cable on the cooker? Please post a pic of the connection block in the cooker that the cable goes into, and also a pic of the wall connector where the cooker cable goes (showing the terminals and the wires connected to them).

When did the cooker last work properly? What has happened since then?

whats the make of the cooker? if you tell us the make / model... and not that its B rated.... someone here will find ou tits actual Power rating .

You could maybe ring up the manufacturer to find out then post back here and let us know....

You say youve used 30Amp cable.... What size cable is it? 4mm 6mm 10mm? Who told you it was rate at 30Amp.

You say it worked ok, and now trips everything, dont soppose you just used it a full power for the first time over the weekend, then now it trips everything? .... any Melted cable anywhere....?

Im thinking you baught a nice new cooker, and thaught you could just throw it in where the old one was..... LMAO... if only things we so simple.

your right on all accounts,

i had used the original cable i had with the old cooker and for 3 weeks no problem then this started to happen and i tried to narrow it down so bought new cable exactly the same as the old one in case some how damaged

then when this didnt work i bought a new cooker socket thinking maybe it was buggered and it still happens,

i have no way to post any photos but can tell u for sure the terminal block is fine and about 5 yr old and just to be sure it wasnt the terminal box i wired the cooker straight into the back of the cooker face plate with same results nothing has happened to warrant this i cooked the night before this happened and it was fine

If what you say is true and you have replaced everything except the cooker, and you are sure everything else is OK, then it must be the cooker.

It would be nice if you answered my questions.

right i cooked beans & eggs on top burgers under the grill and chips in the fryer connected to the wall plug on face plate nothing new have been doing the same as always took about 35 mins and was fine as always and i turn the cooker switch off before going to bed as always no playing up then the next night go to cook and tripping starts the make is a beko d533 in the book it rates the oven to "b" rating main oven 0.99kwh

If what you say is true and you have replaced everything except the cooker, and you are sure everything else is OK, then it must be the cooker.

It would be nice if you answered my questions.

would still be nice.

soory have i missed something i thought i had answered all your questions ?

Let me check this:

If you take the cooker cable out of its connector, the MCB and RCD do not trip. Even if you plug in a kettle to the socket on the cooker switch. Is that right?

And you say that if the cooker supply switch is turned on, with the cooker connected, both the RCD and the MCB trip immediately, even if none of the rings or oven are turned on. Is that right?

If so
1) Examine the cooker cable for damage, e.g. where a heavy appliance such as a cooker has been put down on the cable and crushed it

2) Did you put a new cable on the cooker? Please post a pic of the connection block in the cooker that the cable goes into, and also a pic of the wall connector where the cooker cable goes (showing the terminals and the wires connected to them).

When did the cooker last work properly? What has happened since then?

Especially where it says "Is that right?"

sorry again for spelling and paragraph's and also some of the questions asked, i must have missed them when replying,
its 6mm 30 amp rate cable i used u can buy it by the metre i did ask the man at the store and it was the same size as the last cable i used on my old cooker and this new one untill i had this problem,
i have just seen another reply saying i may have shorted the neutral how would i have done this? please explain,
also it seemed to be the same "b" rating as the cooker i had before for 5 years yes i have checked for melted cable and everything else and no there is no sign whatsoever that there is a problem and yes, i did think yep new cheapy cooker same as the last one just plug it in and go
also i have cooked with this for 3 weeks for me two kids and a wife with no problem so no it wasnt the first time it was used at max sorry for the way i type my problems out but not very good at spelling and stuff like paragraphs ect ect

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back