MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm instaling a socket outlet in my garage (inspection pit) for a 25v hand lamp.
The socket is to a bs en 60309-2 now I'm going to use a violet one, using the below link:

http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/i/Ceeform.gif

What I need to know is the transformer I'm using is a step down one, what size MCB should I use.

I'm a DIYER, with plenty of domestic wiring experience.

I just want to make sure everything rite.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
What is the rating of the transformer, this is the determining factor.

MCB for supply to transformer I assume??

Most garages connect theirs via sw-fuse spurs to the local socket circuits.

to be honest I don't know, I don't know what size transformer I need, its purely for the lamp holder and thats it. I've tried to research it on the net, but I am coming up stumped.

All I know is that I know what type of socket (Violet in colour) I need, what going to be used with it the lamp (only)

Can any one help, please

Sponsored Links
BUshynut, if you are only going to run a light from the socket then the transformer will need a small output..

http://www.antrimtransformers.com/catalogue.php?sec=470

This particular type could be run via a fused connection unit with a 3A fuse installed, if you wanted to run it directly from the supply, then a 3A MCB would be sufficient.

I wouldn't use them transformers........unless it states SELV......could just be ELV.

R310218-91.jpg

That would make life easier ;)

a 60w lamp is in the lamp

So I could just spur the power to the transformer off the lighting ciruit (switch fused with dp switch) inside of the Inspection pit making sure that the socket(SELV) feed from the transformer is seperated from the lighting circuit in the pit

Would that be ok, or should I just use a 3amcb with a direct feed to the transformer?

Thanks in advance

I would put a sw-fuse spur off the local socket circuit.

My link doesn't work above.....

Type 24v SELV tranformer into the search box on RS Components web site - www.rswww.com

So a 24v transformer will power a 25v Lamp Holder (60W Lamp), with out any problems?
I will spur it off the Socket ring in the garage what size fuse should I use?

Hey and guys thanks for helping

Lectrician said:
I wouldn't use them transformers........unless it states SELV......could just be ELV.

Lec, they are SELV, as they are made for the medical industry, I have installed numerous of them, they are good quality, reasonably priced and most definetly SELV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back