Me and My Hammer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope this forum will help me in future as I am enemy number one when it comes to DIY.

I am sure that I am not the first but fixing upstairs floorboards I smugly sat back admiring my work and decided two more nails and I would have completed the perfect job.

Nail 1 into a water pipe
Nail 2 central heating pipe

I still suffer from nightmares.

Sponsored Links
Oops

Years ago I spent ages marking out where all my electric cables were with pencil marks on the wall and a X between the marks so I knew exactly where not to drill.

Had a cup of coffee, went back to my project, lined up the first bit of timber, glanced at my pencil markings, had a blonde moment, there's the X, drill there, and my very first hole went right through a live cable.

Fitting a kitchen a few months ago , I was fixing one base unit back to the wall and drilled straight through the cooker cable (conveniently run at a 45° angle from the switch on the wall down to the cooker point). Didn't half make a bang, and my drill bit was ruined too. :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
don`t worry i cut through electric cables before know
and few people i know put nails through gas pipes
and did not relise
your not first and you won`t be the last

wemt to weld a beam. set all that i needed then chose to have a ciggie and a cuppa. started to weld then a friend took my attention away for a chit chat, i took my glove off and placed it on the red hot weld.

Nailed a gas micro bore helping a "m8" do a rewire!

Fitted a wall safe and being told it was a 15" wall started, and then had a chat with next door thru the hole. As it was a single brick wall!

Fabricating a rather large security bar grille, was a work of art. Right up till I found out it would not got out through the door of the workshop as 6 of us tried to get it to the powder coating room! ( Done the pick up/be passed a piece of hot work :S )

Watched a work m8 on site borrow my chisels to do the locks as I did the Alarm and door entry. He assumed they were like his (Blunt), hit it very hard and drove it thru the side of the door. (Thank god for a steel sheet and lockguards)!

One job, again Alarms. Plumber did a pressure test or something, left off a stop end (?), it flooded onto a 15,000k lighting controller :D

cut through a main incomming gas pipe when doing a floor replacement,even checked with my hand and cupped the pipe,doh,

various nails through pipes over the years.
drilled through a main cable that sent me backwards with me still holding the big drill i was using,again cable was at 45 degrees as i soon found out,blew the end of the drill bit off.

in a cherry picker got my chisel stuck between soffit and fascia,pulled on it shot out like a bullet,handle smacked me right on the bridge of my hooter and in shock stabbed myself in the hand.

you have to put it down to learning your trade,hopefully in turn this makes you a better craftsman.

Sparky left me a loop of ring main sticking out of the wall for use later with a socket. The day came to cut it; I went and turned off the upstairs ring at the board, cut it with my favourite and very expensive bike cable cutting tool - BANG and flash, sparky hadn't told me he had taken the loop for a 1st floor socket off the downstairs ring. The blade was spark eroded and my cutter won't cut bike cables any more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back