Mechanic left bonnet open smashed windscreen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So picked my van up from the mechanic on friday at 5 where it was in to get a new fan belt and check for an oil leak. Then saturday morning i drove it on the dual carriage way and when i hit about 55 the bonnet flew up smashing the windscreen and bending the bonnet a bit.

Not a pleasant experience.

So called with the mechanic this morning showed it to him and he had a look at the bonnet catch and said it seemed fine and he seemed surprised that the saftey latch didn't catch it.

He denies that they had the bonnet open at all and said they did the belt from underneath when it was up on the ramp. He also said they didn't open it to check the oil as it was gear oil leaking not engine oil.

I told him i think its a pretty unlikely coincidence but What should i do?

Sponsored Links
So a mechanic has to look for an oil leak on an engine and doesn't lift the bonnet up??

Ask for his insurance details!!

Andy

The bonnet safety catch failed, would you not agree?

Not trying to rain on you're parade, but, if the bonnet was not closed properly is some one not going to say, "hang on, its the drivers resposibility to ensure their car is fit and proper to drive??"

Sponsored Links
Not trying to rain on you're parade, but, if the bonnet was not closed properly is some one not going to say, "hang on, its the drivers resposibility to ensure their car is fit and proper to drive??"

True, but you have just picked it up from the garage, are you meant to check the oil in the mechanics forecourt?

Andy

in fairness the oil leak turned out to be gear oil from a cv joint so would be clearly visible underneath and the fan belt tensioner is down by the front wheel so doing it all with the van on a lift is possible, i took it to another garage to get them to look at the bonnet catch and saftey catch and both are working as normal and are not damaged in any way.

It seems to me the mechanic is blatantly lying to try and dodge the repair, what do you reckon is the best way to proceed?

Appreciate your replies.

i took it to another garage to get them to look at the bonnet catch and saftey catch and both are working as normal and are not damaged in any way.

But I'm afraid, if the safety catch was working properly before the incident, the bonnet would not have opened as you drove up the road?

No thats the point, the catches are both working fine so they must have just rested the bonnet closed rather than shut it at all so neither catch was on.

If it had been a car i'd probably have seen the bonnet wasn't closed properly but you don't see it in a van from inside.

But I thought the weight of the bonnet should make the safety catch engage?

My mistake

Me thinks you are gonna struggle with this one, but, good luck anyway fella.

Speak to the insurance company

If a mechanic tells you he has not opened the bonnet when you took it in for an oil leek and fan belt...then he is lying!

You should not have to check the bonnet yourself when you pick the car up....its down to the mechanic to return the car back to you fixed, or not fixed.

Its very common for mechanics to leave the bonnet up though.

Sponsored Links
Back