Megaflow cost for installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Experts, please advise.

We are in process of getting a boiler replaced with a new boiler and to any one we discuss this, they suggest us to go for megaflo.
We have a builder who will be starting some other work and also has quoted me 1500£ for fitting of new megaflo boiler 250l with gas boiler (may be bosch) and any plumbing required. I think by plumbing he meant pipes to bathroom (may be).
Could you suggest us if this price is about right or if you can advise us what exact questions we should be asking this builder to ensure we get it fit right and all necessary plumbing is sorted so that we dont face any issues in future.
In 1500£ he will fit new megaflo, new combi or gas boiler, some pipework (not sure what should the scope be), remove the water tank from loft. Boiler and cylinder will be on ground floor where the existing boiler is (existing boiler is around 30yr old)

I have also read in this forum that we need to inform building control when we put up a new boiler ? should we ask him to make sure building control is aware of this works, should we expect some certificate from him ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

In 1500£ he will fit new megaflo, new combi or gas boiler, some pipework (not sure what should the scope be), remove the water tank from loft. Boiler and cylinder will be on ground floor where the existing boiler is (existing boiler is around 30yr old)

He will fit them!

But who pays to buy them?

And what about his Gas Safe registration?

He must be registered to legally fit them!

Tony

I say let him get on with it. £1500 for an unvented, a new boiler, all associated pipework and possibly plumbing through the house is a bargain. RGIs charge too much for this and a builder can do it at a real price that is affordable to the tight arse masses.

OP all joking apart you would be lucky to get change from £3500 and that's without seeing it. Expect more!

For £1500 then expect £5k plus to put all the f00k ups right! Pay cheap pay twice! If you're investing in a home then think.... What do I NEED AND USE every day. What will cause the most damage when it goes wrong through pi55 poor design and installation?

Your choice, I know where my money would be going.

Jon

OP, just as an example to give you an idea. On Monday I'm fitting a combi, moving it 20m, rerun hot pipework to minimise the runs, rip out all old and make good, new controls and all wiring and new gas supply, new condense run, (most in a blocked off eaves of a loft conversion) 2 new rads and the system chemically flushed plus all the little bits that go with it. That's £3290 and I've done that cheap!

Jon

Thanks for your input guys. The builder came back again to the property and after checking the new quotation is 2000£ for all of the above work. All materials including any pipe or anything that will need to bring up these two boilers will be provided by us. He said that all the materials might cost us around 1200 (megaflo 250l) + 1100 (combi) + fittings/pipe (500+).
Aquaheat@ Its not that we have chosen the cheapest one, in terms of all other building work his quotation is among the top so I am not expecting any cheaper quotation for this work. But must say he is a no nonsense guy, the quote he gives on first day is the final quote.
Do you think this is cheap again and we might get low quality work ? any advise you could give us on what exact questions to ask and what answers to expect. Like pipe to be increased from 15mm size to 22mm ? and does these needs to be changed to/from boiler to bathroom or throughout the house. Should we get copper pipes ? as some other builder we were talking about the work mentioned some other type of pipe may be plastic ones. we dont know what good looks like, hence all these questions.

Agile@ I did mentioned him about certificate and he will give us that.

Agile@ I did mentioned him about certificate and he will give us that.

Only Gas Registered people are allowed to fit gas boilers!

You need to know if HE is gas registered and to check him on the Gas Safe site.

It is illegal for ANYONE else to provide a certificate for something he did not fit.

Many builders has illegal gas blokes who give them certificates! They should be reported.

Others "borrow" a legal gas installer's number and forge the certificate.

You seem to think those labour only prices are cheap. My telephone quote prices are £740 for a system boiler and £560 for an unvented. There would probably be some extra costs for removing any loft tanks or other things but they are often financed from the scrap value.

Sorry correction, instead of combi it will be a system boiler (valiant or bosch) with megaflo cylinder.

Where does VAT feature in your builder's prices?

It will be in the bill that I will get (I Hope so) or may be not as we didn't asked for it specifically. Should we need it for the boiler ?

You don't "ask" for VAT !

It needs to be paid to the Government by anyone invoicing you who is registered.

Since it is at 20% it really increases the cost to you if it is to be added to the bill.

For "retail" sales it SHOULD be quoted inclusively!

But most builders ADD it to anything they quote you! Then tell you they are just complying with the law.

It is up to you to ensure you know what you are going to be expected to pay.

Hi Guys, So we got our building works started and first thing we got the pressure bar checked. It goes to 3.5 bar but with 15mm pipe. We have also found that there is no water meter, it is only stop clock at the front of the house.
My builder says there is no need to change the pipe to anything higher than 15mm as pressure is more than enough for megaflow to work. But when insisted, he says at most he can change the pipe to 22mm or any higher till the limits of within the property and will not go until the stop clock.
At the moment, the pipe size from boiler to bathroom is 22mm and from mains/stop clock outside the property is 15mm. Please advise what should we do:

1) Should we still go for megaflow with 15mm pipe, is he right that changing the pipe will not help as pressure is good and bigger pipe will not make any difference.
2) Should we go for megaflow and get the pipe changed atleast within the property (like from front door to the boiler as it will involve no digging, but just picking up floor boards. (He says he still needs to check if the water pipe from outside is drilled into the property or in some other big cast iron pipe which will obviously make things easier for him as he does not need to drill into the foundation to the outside).
3) Should we just cancel the megaflow and go for combi boiler.

We are in process of getting a boiler replaced with a new boiler and to any one we discuss this, they suggest us to go for megaflo.
We have a builder who will be starting some other work and also has quoted me 1500£ for fitting of new megaflo boiler 250l with gas boiler (may be bosch) and any plumbing required. I think by plumbing he meant pipes to bathroom (may be).
Could you suggest us if this price is about right or if you can advise us what exact questions we should be asking this builder to ensure we get it fit right and all necessary plumbing is sorted so that we dont face any issues in future.

I have also read in this forum that we need to inform building control when we put up a new boiler ? should we ask him to make sure building control is aware of this works, should we expect some certificate from him ?

I love the generic term 'Builder'. A good 'Builder' will be a Main Contractor, with various Sub-Contract Tradesmen. If he's not a Main Contractor he's a Cowboy Builder!! It's impossible for one individual to cover multiple trades, if you employ someone like that it'll end in tears & very expensive to put right.
Get a Small Works contract signed before you do anything with 'Builders'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back