megger meter or fluke meter which is better

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i want to buy a meter and just want some advise on which one .

the ones i have chosen are :

megger 1730
fluke 1654b

just wanted some advise on which one to go for and why

thanks

Sponsored Links
In my opinion I'd go Fluke. easier to use and understand. Even though I was trained on Meggers (Lecturer "touch and zero the Megger leads to make sure they are still connected to the mft" Me-" my fluke says LEAD if one has dropped out so there's never any doubt that your leads are connected").

As I say my opinion. Just think the Flukes are better. And btw, I got my 1652 2nd hand off ebay. There are bargains to be had, you just need to be a bit careful.

I'd vote Megger, but we could all give our opinions and you'd probably still be non-the wiser as to which one to choose.

I disagree and think the Megger's are easier to use, but it's all personal opinion.

I think the best way to decide is to try and find somebody(somebodies) with each and have a little play, see which one you get on with best.

My mate's got a Metrel and I've only used it once, but it seems pretty well built, colours are a bit gross though, but for a first meter, it's cheap and certainly cheerful

Clicky

Have only had aftersales service from Megger before, they were excellent - I even got to speak a person who knew the instrument inside out and even sent me a replacement lead free of charge.
I don't think you can say that about many companies nowadays!

Sponsored Links
My MFT 1552 says on the bottom "Made in England by Megger Limited" :D
Some of the components are more than likely bought in from abroad but at least the thing appears to be assembled here! In Dover iirc.

My MFT 1552 says on the bottom "Made in England by Megger Limited" :D
Some of the components are more than likely bought in from abroad but at least the thing appears to be assembled here! In Dover iirc.
Ditto but My Fluke says Made in the good old U S of A

Fluke have a base in the UK down in that London ive dealt with them serveral times over some issues i had with my 1653B and there customer service is excellent.
I spoke to the same person everytime and he personally aranged collection of my meter to have it corrected.

On the other hand the guys from Megger who i spoke to at the ELEX show in Manchester last June where very helpfull i spoke to them for a good hour about the PAT420 and then had a hands on demonstration of the 1700 series MFTs.
If I had the money i would buy a Megger 1710 as a spare tester with the advantage it does a two wire non-trip loop test.
Although im very happy with my Fluke 1653B and would recommend it, Ive also had the use of a 1651 and i didnt like that as the loop test took a long time to get a reading and it didnt have the non-trip test otherwise known as D-LOK

Phone Fluke and Megger ask for the your reps numbers and tell the reps of your dilemma. They should organize a trial* for a week or so or the very least a site visit so you can try it hands on
*provided you have an account with a wholesaler so the can still bill you just in case you decide to not return it.

Love my Fluke 1652, non trip loop test. Only thing missing from it for me now is phase rotation which is on the next model up, apart from that, not a problem with it.

If i had a trial off the Megger it probably would be staying with me LOL im very impressed with the 1700 series, but i also did like the older 1552/53 testers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back