Mepis Linux live disk failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having tried a number of operating systems in the past only Mepis would recognise my TV card so it seemed that was the best option.

However the guy who set it all up has moved away and I have taken up photography and am interested in using Gimp. It seems this works better in Linux than in Windows XP so I have tried to use Mepis again. However although Gimp works it needs UFRAW plug-in and I can't get that to work.

Hence I have tried to up-grade Mepis version. I down loaded the image file and made a CD of version 8. And this runs OK on lap top. However on desk top it gets to login then after quite some time switches off again without allowing me to log in. In fact monitor switches to stand-by as soon as log-in is reached.

I have tried typing demo in as by default that is log-in type and password but I have failed to complete boot up with live disk.

Has anyone ideas on how I can up-grade?

Sponsored Links
Hi Eric

Haven't used mepis myself have some limited ubuntu experience.

Are you trying to upgrade the version on the desktop or install it from fresh? Or you just using the live mode? Or are you trying to dual-boot?

Could the problem be resolution related, try f3 key

What version had you been using?

I dont understand why mepis works with the tv card and not ubuntu (surely the drivers are linux drivers?).

Incidentally the mepis wiki page says that the username and password are "root" and not demo- perhaps the wiki is out of date.

Forget upgrading, all you need to do is install the UFRAW plugin from the repositories. I understand Mepis is apt based so it could simply be a [code:1]apt-get install gimp-ufraw[/code:1]
from the console to obtain the plugin.

Given that Mepis is Debian based I would hazard a guess that the package names are similar. If this isn't the case you could try searching for ufraw within your package manager (Synaptic).

If you are still wanting to upgrade there are better ways than doing it from a new LiveCD, there is lots of documentation floating around for performing a dist-upgrade, although I'm not familiar with the intricacies of Mepis and you should probably read about it from their documentation.

Thank you I will try that. It said I was missing some files and the guy who did original install was dab hand with CLI but sorry to say I am not.
I tried in the past to go to up-grade in the synaptic manager and on re-boot it would no longer accept the password and I had to re-install from scratch.
So if I can install UFRAW without up-grading the rest that is best option.
I will try what you say and report back.

Sponsored Links
It says I need fp-linux-ws.tar.gz and fp.linux-ws.tar.gz.md5sum
It says I can run dpkg -- configure f-prot-installer to finish installation
f-prot(tm) it seems is Antivirus installer package why it should need this for UfRAW to run I don't know?

I am wondering if the version I have can handle Pentax (PEF) Raw files. I note Nikon listed but not Pentax. The PC version works OK but just wonder if it is installed but not for Pentax?

According to the UFRAW website it is able to handle Pentax RAW files. The current error you're getting seems to be an installation that was prematurely ended which would make sense if you had previously tried to upgrade and it had failed.

Have you tried running "dpkg --configure f-prot-installer"?

That should attempt to complete the installation of that package.

I begin to wish I hadn't started. But thought I would re-install Mempis and start again. Well seems Gimp and UFRaw have loaded OK but UFRaw still says it can't process the Pentax RAW file.

I also now have sound from wrong sound card and although I am sure it would be very easy to swap where the sound comes from I can't find out how? In Windows XP I have Skype ring on main speakers but once answered comes through head phones but not with Linux.

Well not quite given up but still not getting very far.

Well completely messed up. Last time I tried to boot it went into CLI mode. Sure it only needs the write word typing but don't know what it is so stuck. It is not Win or Windows.

I decided to again re-load Mempis but as I loaded the Audacity, UFRaw, Gimp, and upgraded firefox then loaded up printer drivers it must do something to main program as on re-boot it again went to CLI and says desktop unstable.

Sponsored Links
Back