Metabo 10" Planer Thicknesser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
The Machine will not start
It makes the usual hum noise they make before getting the revs up and doesn't get past that stage
It sounds like the cutter block is jammed but it isn't
The belt also moves when the cutter block is rotated
Any clues
Cheers Ian

Sponsored Links
Is there a start capacitor (cylindrical thing) bolted to the side of the motor?
This device tells the motor which way to spin, and if its faulty all you get is a hum from the windings.
John :)

I've only used these, Ian as they are local to me www.capacitor-sales.co.uk
Mind you, my diagnosis is only a guess really! To get nearer the mark, if the motor can be spun by hand and then it gets cracking could be a sign - but this could be dangerous so think that one out.
If you do go for a new capacitor, the voltage and microfarad value (uf) will need to be known and it will be on an identification plate.
If the motor has two caps, one will be start and the other the run cap.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi Burnerman
Iv'e just had a look at the capacitor,it looks very nasty and swollen,so I
reckon your right thanks.
Cheers Ian

The Metabo is fine for what it is,it is not an industrial machine having said that,in its class it is a fine machine,
The pros& cons
Cons ;Top beds are aluminium,if you had a hell lot of jointing with very abrasive timber it could be a problem cast iron tops would probably be too heavy for the machine and it would cost a lot more money.
The infeed roller can get clogged up easly when thicknessing and needs cleaning every now and then,espacially when you use resinous timber,but resin from timber gives problems with any machine,a scrub of with wd40 and a tooth brush sorts it out
I did some alterations to the extraction ports, that have helped with extraction clogging,safety features in the ports that stop you putting your fingers in the cutter block,so I can't advise you to do that,an obvious H&S issue.
I would not attempt to run this machine without extraction ,
something to thinck about for costs
Pro's;Fence and beds for surface planing, jointing and thicknessing are accurate.
Bottom bed is cast iron which is great for obvious reasons.
power supply is 240v three pin plug if you need to be flexible in your work situation that's a plus,it also has a wheel kit.
planer/knife marks are between minimal and none existent.
If it were stolen I would buy another its the best in that league.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back