Metal equivalent to white oval conduit ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At present, most of the cables to the CU go down the old metal slip conduit - but what's already in isn't going to suit my needs when I change the CU.
Is there a metal equivalent to the white oval conduit ? Or what else do people use where there's a concern that users might not realise that the wall contains lots of cables ?

I'm also assuming that one or two cables might not be RCD protected, hence a need for "compliant with regs" protection, not just some mechanical protection over and above what regs need.

Sponsored Links
At present, most of the cables to the CU go down the old metal slip conduit - but what's already in isn't going to suit my needs when I change the CU.
I don't really understand your concern.

Is there a metal equivalent to the white oval conduit ?
No. It doesn't do anything as far as protection is concerned; it just holds the cable in place and possibly facilitates replacement.

Or what else do people use where there's a concern that users might not realise that the wall contains lots of cables ?
Nothing.

I'm also assuming that one or two cables might not be RCD protected, hence a need for "compliant with regs" protection,

not just some mechanical protection over and above what regs need.
What does that mean?

If you have a number of cables running towards your CU, you could have them put in trunking, which will be on the surface of the wall so visible. This would not matter if it was in a garage, under the stairs, or inside a cupboard.

Sponsored Links
Is there a metal equivalent to the white oval conduit ?
No. It doesn't do anything as far as protection is concerned; it just holds the cable in place and possibly facilitates replacement.
Exactly, white oval offers no protection, which is why I'm looking for something metal that can be earthed according to the regs ...
not just some mechanical protection over and above what regs need.
What does that mean?
Most of the cables will be RCD protected - so the regs don't require them to have mechanical protection. My assessment is that they'd benefit from some additional protection - given that there's already a nail that possibly deflected off the old slip conduit down to the light switch in that wall.

Surely they will be after your CU has been replaced?
Nope - there will be some that by design will not be.

If you have a number of cables running towards your CU, you could have them put in trunking, which will be on the surface of the wall so visible. This would not matter if it was in a garage, under the stairs, or inside a cupboard.
Except that they won't be in the garage, under the stairs, or in a cupboard ! The layout of the house is such that this wall is the first thing you see when you open the front door. At present the CU is on the meter board in a cupboard at floor level, I haven't made my mind up yet whether to ask for the meter to be moved so I can get the new CU across the top of the board, or whether to put another cupboard higher up for the new CU. Either way there's a bunch of cables to go up the very visible wall.
If I put the CU in the existing cupboard then most of the circuits go up to the ceiling - not much was run under the ground floor when it was rewired. If I put the new CU higher up, then a bunch of cables, including non-RCD protected meter tails and a non-RCD protected shed supply will run down from it.

Unfortunately I don't possess (or have access to) a decent sheet metal folding machine or I'd fold up some shallow trunking. I suppose I could get some 2x2 galv trunking and take the nibblers to it to make some 2x½ ...

Oh yes, and sinking trunking into the wall (deeper than the plaster) isn't on - not with the 'kin hard red brick this house is built with.

I can get a bit more depth by adding another layer of plaster(board) on top, but I don't want to go too far with that.

The new cables, and the CU, don't have to be in the same place as the old.

I have a few ducts, in corners, which are actually plasterboard on battens, plastered and decorated to match the walls. Mine were provided for CH pipes during build, but subsequently also used for alarm cables.

Exactly, white oval offers no protection, which is why I'm looking for something metal that can be earthed according to the regs ...
Then there is earthed conduit, earthed trunking or

earthed metal sheathed cable or

just unearthed metal plate sufficient to prevent nail/screw penetration - usually accepted as 3mm. thick.

The new cables, and the CU, don't have to be in the same place as the old.
I've considered this - and there really isn't anywhere else that makes any sense. If I could think of somewhere else to (sensibly) put it I would.
I have a few ducts, in corners, which are actually plasterboard on battens, plastered and decorated to match the walls. Mine were provided for CH pipes during build, but subsequently also used for alarm cables.
That's under consideration as well. I'm trying to avoid it here as I want to keep a flat wall - it is the first thing people see as they come in the front door.

Yes, all of those. None of them as convenient as a wide oval conduit though which is why I was looking to find out if there's anything I've missed. Round conduit is too deep and offers poor space utilisation. Trunking is even deeper - smallest I know of is 2x2. cores taken to the meter terminals.

just unearthed metal plate sufficient to prevent nail/screw penetration - usually accepted as 3mm. thick.
Don't the regs require the metal to be earthed if there's a non-RCD protected cable ?
And on that, can an earthed plate be thinner - galv trunking isn't anywhere near 3mm (that's getting close to the thickness of my Land Rover chassis !)

Yes, all of those. None of them as convenient as a wide oval conduit though which is why I was looking to find out if there's anything I've missed.
You wouldn't be able to earth metal oval conduit satisfactorily (if there were any).

Don't the regs require the metal to be earthed if there's a non-RCD protected cable ?
No. It is just satisfactory mechanical protection.

And on that, can an earthed plate be thinner - galv trunking isn't anywhere near 3mm
Do you mean capping?

You wouldn't be able to earth metal oval conduit satisfactorily (if there were any).
Really ? I can think of several ways it could be done - some more work than others.
Do you mean capping?
No, I mean trunking. From memory I'd estimate that it's 1.6mm or 2mm thick - it's certainly not 3mm (at least in the smaller sizes I, very occasionally, use).

Really ? I can think of several ways it could be done - some more work than others.
Well. I know it doesn't apply in this case but you would have to join pieces in a long run.

Anyway, the earthing, if screwed, would have to be accessible and the plastic is very thin so similar in metal wouldn't be very good.

Do you mean capping?
No, I mean trunking. From memory I'd estimate that it's 1.6mm or 2mm thick - it's certainly not 3mm (at least in the smaller sizes I, very occasionally, use).
I'm getting confused.
Trunking has to be earthed and is no smaller than conduit.

Wouldn't this cable that runs up from the CU also require similar protection or RCD elsewhere along its route?

That's under consideration as well. I'm trying to avoid it here as I want to keep a flat wall - it is the first thing people see as they come in the front door.
Could you board the whole wall, or a large section of it, but use steel sheet instead of plasterboard over the battens?

Trunking is even deeper - smallest I know of is 2x2.
Flooring trunking is shallower (but wider).

Then there's Unistrut.

... and the plastic is very thin so similar in metal wouldn't be very good.
Well yes, I realise it would have to be a big bigger than the plastic oval - but it would still be useful if someone made it. But then I guess it's probably a fairly limited market, especially as modern building materials are so easy to chase out - I'd not be asking if I had nice "soft" block instead of these 'kin hard bricks (from their hardness and colour, I think they were a bit over-cooked).

Wouldn't this cable that runs up from the CU also require similar protection or RCD elsewhere along its route?
Only if it's location means it needs it. Eg, the shed supply would be T&E clipped to the joists (>50mm from the floorboards) under the house and then transition to SWA for the rest of the run.

I've used 3mm steel plate in places, bought from a local steel supplier. Just ask for 50mm wide flat bar.

If you really wanted to, you could solder some g/y single to it, did this recently on a cover for a socket box full of wagos which was at the edge of a new stud wall.

Everything else HAS to be earthed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back