Microbore central heating pump head problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The top floor of my old three story house does not get any heat in the top story radiators at all. The boiler is on the ground floor and the pump is on the middle floor. I hired a power flush machine and used double the dose of cleaner and, whilst flushing with the boiler running, noticed that they did get hot when fed by the more powerful Proflush pump. Due to this, I assumed that the old 15/50 pump fitted might also need replacing, but this did not help. Could I overcome this by fitting a 15/60 pump?

Sponsored Links
Possibly it may, but without doing thecalculations relating to the static head and resistance one cannot be sure. If you close off some of the lower rads, do the top ones get hot?

Poorly balanced system.

If you have more than about 12 radiators driven from one pump you may have problems getting even flow across them.

If balance doesn't cure the problem and closing some of the radiators
valves doesn't cure the problem I suggest adding an extra pump to drive one floor of the house leaving the other pump to do the rest.

If you have an vented system switch to seal system will also help allowing
the pump to work better.

Sponsored Links
I tried closing all the other rad valves and the top story rads still didn't get hot.

I tried closing all the other rad valves and the top story rads still didn't get hot.
Blockages somewhere then. Could be air, bad design, hard deposits, blocked pump/valves, stuck rad valves etc etc.
Has the boiler been replaced?
Do the rads actually have water in them ? ;)

You shouldn't need 2 pumps to get the top floor rads warm!

With the other radiators shut and you are still not getting
any flow to the top radiators
then suspect either pump isn't managing to get there.
Faulty valves, piping or blockage.

There are 16 radiators in all. I could add another pump but it would have to be close to the existing one, but on the return side - can't get to piping to seperate top floor. Don't want to change system to unvented yet - building extension in the next year or so and splitting in to two flats, hence all new systems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back