microwave magnetrons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

i would like to know how to test a magnetron remove and refit where needed on a swan sm2070.

could be wrong but microw powes ok but does not heat.

Sponsored Links
only seen 2 posts on here where reapiring a microwave was worth it, most just bin and buy a new one

Also potentially more lethal than any other appliance, if you do not know what you are doing, from what I have read & heard.

First discharge the capacitor by placing an insulated screwdriver on the chassiss and sliding it to short out capacitor terminals, if you don't know which is the capacitor don't do the job. I would not take out a magnetron without a meter to test if it leaks after you refit it, nothing to see if you remove it. You can test the filament for continuity across the two terminals also for an earth fault to chassiss.
The most common problem when most have been quoted for a magnetron is just the push on tags slightly loose, just pull off crimp and push back on, if you then test the machine and it does not work after removing the plug short out the capacitor before doing anything else.
If you don't do anything to the door or remove the mag you should not get any leakage problems, but very high voltage so be very careful.

Colin

Sponsored Links
colin1 you would appear to be saying (please correct me if i am wrong) that if you have to ask what to do, then you dont have a clue and for your own health don't touch it.

No, the O/P may be a microwave tech. that has not seen that fault before so may ask if anyone has come across those symptoms. As I said if you don't know how to identify the capacitor to short it out I would not do the job.
I would think an electric shock from an energised microwave would be most likely fatal, where as an electric shock from the 240v side of a microwave or anything else you may advise on repairing may be fatal to some.

Colin

Google is your best buddy...
look here top reply on "how test magnetron" :D

Knock a bit off the URL to get to the explanations of testing more.
here.

the comments from colin1 should be noted, I belive the HT feed to the Mag is about 4Kv at 500 mA, one wrong move and this would put you on the list for a day out with the undertaker.
I was told once that if you measure the volt drop accross the heater and the cathode terminals of the mag, and apply ohms law you can work out if the power is down. BUT BE VERY carefull ITS VERY DANGEROUS. and dont hold the meter probes when you do it !

My Doyle seems to concentrate on plumbing so dont expect him to be safe or know anything about magnetrons!

Most used to use a voltage doubler circuit to get about 2500v but the latest one seem to use a half wave rectifier to give raw DC.

The power input can be measured on the current on the mains input. Those magnetrons are probably about 50% efficient.

Microwave ovens are VERY dangerous because of the high voltages at low impedances which are exposed when the case is opened

AND

because the microwave energy level is so high that it will quickly cook your eyes and make you blind if you are exposed to it.

Colin, I think its dangerous to assume that because anyone asks a question that they are in any way competent to work on any appliance.

Housebasher, the anode is earthed and so the cathode is at -2500v or so. To make floating measurements at 2500v is very dangerous using a typical test meter as their leads are only rated for a lower voltage use.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back