minimum ceiling height above bath? sloped ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks
We're renovating an old house and creating a bathroom in a small room in the house, where at one side of the room there is a wall and then sloped ceiling above.
We would like to put the bath against this wall, but wonder if there are any UK regs about minimum clearance needed above a bath?

The height of the wall is 1.44m before the slope in the ceiling begins.

Any advice or directions to sites where I can find out would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Ian n Sally

Sponsored Links
Ian - somewhere there is a regulation that states 50% of the ceiling space needs to be above 2.0m but this applies to new build only, and as you are converting it won't apply to your situation.

In fairness i've not long got back from a cottage in Devon and the bath ceiling height under the eaves was a lot less than 1.44m so I think you'll be fine. As long as there is enough space to stand under the shower end if there is one.

There is no minimum ceiling height for rooms in dwellings.

Seems I am proved wrong, looks like they are 'guidelines' as opposed to regulation anymore - my mistake

"Minimum Ceiling Heights

Although the legal minimum ceiling height has now been removed from the Building Regulations, there is still a practical minimum height and this is especially worth thinking about in attic and cellar conversions. All rooms should normally have a floor to ceiling height of at least 2.1m throughout (standard ceiling height is 2.4m). In rooms with sloping ceilings, at least 50% of the floor area should normally have a floor to ceiling height of at least 2.1m."

Sponsored Links
Limerock;
When I started doing this job many moons ago,there was a regulation which stipulated that, in a loft conversion, at least 50% of the floor area must be at least 2.1m high.

A lot of householders could not achieve that amount of headroom in a loft conversion due to the low pitch of the roof. Many people did, therefore, convert their lofts without telling the council. This led to a lot of un-regulated and unsafe conversions, hence the relaxtion in headroom.

AFAIK, it doesn't actually say in the regs 'there is no minimum headroom'; there just isn't one stipulated, which adds up to the same thing.

You still have to maintain 2m headroom over the stairs and landings, though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back