Minimum distance between light switch and boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I would like to move an exterior light switch (weather-sealed, for some exterior lights) to the other side of the wall in the kitchen - which would be about 20cm underneath the bottom of the combi boiler.

(It doesn't make sense to me to have a switch for exterior lights outside - if I want some light to put something in the bins in the rain and dark, I don't want the added annoyance of having to walk extra steps to turn on the light first...)

Questions:
1. I assume this is notifiable as it is in the kitchen.
2. Are there any regs around the distance of a switch to the boiler? I have had a look at 528.3 (Proximity to non-electrical services), but it is vague and I don't think it applies.

Thanks in advance
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Does that even count as a replacement? - six pages ???

2. Are there any regs around the distance of a switch to the boiler? I have had a look at 528.3 (Proximity to non-electrical services), but it is vague and I don't think it applies.
The switch will be fine.
There are considerable 'electrics' in the bottom of the boiler, (usual domestic, I presume).

Questions:
It will be new cabling and not really a replacement

External influences such as heat and if it's a gas boiler, separation of gas installation pipework from other services.
Switches 150mm away from gas pipe.

Does that even count as a replacement? - six pages ???
Directed at me, I guess :) This is where we suffer from the effects of this being a 'public forum' and/or perceived professional ethics of electricians. I know what ('common sense') opinion I would give privately about notification of such a job, and maybe even some electricians would offer the same opinion in private.

Some may argue that the job is notifiable because (a) it's not strictly a 'switch replacement' and the new switch will be sited in a kitchen, and/or (b) because it may involve new fixed cable, and/or (c) because it is part of an external lighting installation. However, none of those suggestions would alter my 'private' opinion.

What is surely clear is that it would make no sense for anyone to pay LABC fees in order to 'move a switch a few inches'.

FWIW, I agree with you that the proposed positioning of the switch would be fine - in fact in the very place where an FCU for a boiler is often found.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies everyone, I appreciate your time.
Kevin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back