Minimum size for a single garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are trying to determine the minimum size for a single garage.

After searching the web we can't find anything difinitive.

Does anyone here know, or know where information may be found?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Really depends on how big your car is...
I had one once built years before, which I wanted to park a rather large porsche 928 in. Ended up carpeting three walls, using a tennis ball on a string set to hit the window when JUST inside the garage, and never ever saying yes to that extra burger!

This is the problem - we are on quite a tight site, and are trying to maximise every last bit of space. I'm not sure we would want to provide garages in which you have to get everybody out of the car before driving in, and then squeezing down the side of the car to the door, but also know that these days garages are often used more as store rooms rather than somewhere to park your car.

So we are trying to wind out if there are any regs that we should be referring to.

Assuming you mean the footprint and not height then you used to be able to get away with an internal measurement of 2400 x 4300 - which gives a 600mm space to open just the drivers side door.

Some council design guides say that 3000 x 7000 is their minimum standards for new builds so that the garage can be used for a single car, cycles and additional storage space.

Have a look at this to help guide you.
garage size.png

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. I think that cars have generally got a bit bigger over the years so I think 2.4x4.3m would be really tight unless you drive a smart car!

A Mondeo is 4778x1886mm so you'd need a minimum of 5m by 2.7m or something I would think for a family car.

Still screwed if you drive a Jag though!

The image is from a 3rd Edition of the Architect's Pocket Book (2008). The latest 4th Edition (2011) seems to be exactly the same, from what I can see.

Have a look at this website. Down the left hand size there's a load of different garage sizes in context with vehicles. They suggest that the minimum size today should be 3000 x 6000.

http://www.garageplans.co.uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back