Minimum thickness of stud wall for cloakroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are putting in a new cloakroom in a tight space - what is the minimum thickness of stud wall/partition that we can use ... every cm counts in this limited space.
Is there a minimum limit on width of the cloakroom itself ?
Can you have a door opening into a corridor - if no room to open it into new cloakroom ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I lived in a house that had internal partitions made from 2x1's used with the 2" length parallel with the partition, so the whole partition was 50mm thick, I know because I witnessed my house being built, they were perfectly rigid and no one would ever have known, people were amazed when I proved it by measuring them. But people will tell you here that that is no good but if every cm counts they would be adequate. Though if you've got a heavy fire door going in then it might not be ideal and obviously I'd not recommend you hang anything other than a bog roll holder off it.

Sponsored Links
Paramount board used to be (still is?) 50mm thick. All the rage for 80's shoebox houses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back