Minor Works Certicate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Starting from a position of ignorance, I'd like to understand where this term arises, which piece of legislation requires one, and in what circumstances one is required.

Is there an easy guide to certification requirements somewhere?

Sponsored Links
From our co's POV, we issue a MWC whenever we "disturb any electrical connections".

MW is any work not icluding a board change or addition of new circuit(s).

BS 7671 (The Wiring Regulations) says this:

"The Minor Works Certificate is intended to be used for additions and alterations to an installation that do not extend to the provision of a new circuit."

It is a shortened form of electrical installation certificate, but it has no legal standing, as BS 7671 is a non-statutory document. (Having said that, the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989, which are statutory, allow as a defence that you prove you took all reasonable steps and exercised all due diligence in the event of proceedings for any offence against those regulations. The issuing of the appropriate certification would be regarded as evidence of such diligence. In other words, to a professional electrician, it may as well be the law.)

Thanks to you both - that was exactly the information I was looking for. :)

Sponsored Links
When I was working for an Electricity company with a large Scottish operations (though I worked at the Southern end) I had a colleague who was in charge of Minor Works.

I obtained much innocent fun from pretending I couldn't remember his proper title and referring to him as the "Trivial Jobs" Manager.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back