minor works certificates

Who on earth is charging £20 for an MWC?

I am currently having to replace a lighting circuit having been asked too change some light fittings as the circuit was so badly done, I will be giving them a certfificate because of this.

Even when i complete certifcates for a re-wire I don't charge for it, or the notification as it is only a couple of quid out of a few grand.

This is blatant profitering, shame on this yorkshire Sparky.

Is he a registered sparky?

Feel free to name them, they deserve it

Sponsored Links
Who on earth is charging £20 for an MWC?

I am currently having to replace a lighting circuit having been asked too change some light fittings as the circuit was so badly done, I will be giving them a certfificate because of this.

Even when i complete certifcates for a re-wire I don't charge for it, or the notification as it is only a couple of quid out of a few grand.

This is blatant profitering, shame on this yorkshire Sparky.

Is he a registered sparky?

Feel free to name them, they deserve it

On the face of it I would agree. But just consider the scenario where he asks if they want minor works cert and they say no so he does not bother noting down his results then a few days later they change their mind and ask for the minor works cert so now he has to return to retest it all.

Yes I know he should have not even asked but we are human and I know I have lost details in the past.

If someone phoned you up and asked for some paperwork for a PIR you did 5 years ago could you find it. You know it should be kept for 10 years until the next one is done. My son was backing it up on DVD but he moved house and if someone was injured and claiming from him I am sure he could find it but if someone wanted a copy to sell the house it would be easier to re-do PIR than find a copy and he would not want to do it for free.

Let him without sin throw the first stone.

Remember we never hear full story on here.

If it were me I would return and re-test and issue the minor works but I'm daft like that.

I know the guy did the testing as i saw the certificate on the table and he was checking everything with equipment. He has completed the certificate as it even says so on our invoice but he put at our request this was not needed and therefore not charged us. Does anyone know how long the test to complete the certificate should take-if its about 1hr then that would be his £20 per hour charge-had he explained that to us than we may have said yes. However, the way it was sold to us was that the cost of the certificate would be on top of everthing else.

When we asked him about the certificate, after he had done his testing, he then said we would be best without one, even though he had just spent ages doing the testing. This might be because he was in the process all the tests and we were thinking he was going to charge us for a certificate we hadn't said we wanted (due to the cost) so we asked some quetsions about the certificate and the benefits etc of it. We then said would he mind if we looked into it and then got back to him about whether we wanted to pay for it or not.

I don't mind at all paying for a job to be done properly but I don't like to feel we've been taken advantage of.
:eek:

You say he claims he has done the tests already, for his records, without charge to you.

The additional time to complete the cert itself is a few minutes.

Sponsored Links
There are two rule books I am looking at first is Part P this is freely available to all see http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/4000000001253.html the second is BS7671:2008 which costs £65 but the part you require is available as free down load at http://www.theiet.org/publishing/wiring-regulations/forms/index.cfm

As I see it the problem in forcing anyone to give the Minor works cert FOC is to show they must issue it.

The Part P document says you must follow BS7671 but also states 1.13 that it is not required.

But on page 15 of the forms it says:
GUIDANCE FOR RECIPIENTS
This safety Certificate has been issued to confirm that the electrical installation work to which it relates has been designed, constructed, inspected and tested in accordance with British Standard 7671 (The IEE Wiring Regulations).
You should have received an original Certificate and the contractor should have retained a duplicate Certificate. If you were the person ordering the work, but not the owner of the installation, you should pass this Certificate, or a full copy of it, immediately to the owner.
A separate Certificate should have been received for each existing circuit on which minor works have been carried out. This Certificate is not appropriate if you requested the contractor to undertake more extensive installation work, for which you should have received an Electrical Installation Certificate.
The "original" Certificate should be retained in a safe place and be shown to any person inspecting or undertaking further work on the electrical installation in the future. If you later vacate the property, this Certificate will demonstrate to the new owner that the minor electrical installation work carried out complied with the requirements of British Standard 7671 at the time the Certificate was issued.

I would say that leaves little room for manoeuvre and to me the original should be given to you.

If he has filled one in then I can't see how he can hang onto it. I wait to see what the others on here say.
Eric

i should but i dont always...
when i swap like for like, very rarely will i test earth continuity or insulation resistance (talking the lighting circuit here) due to the hassles of de lamping everything, but i do check the e.l.i. especially if its got metal bits on it.
re. mwc, i altered the original from bs7671 to put ring continuity as a figure. socket changes (like for like) if theres 2 6242Y cables then i check ring continuity. thats when the defects start appearing....
a single cable, "as far as reasonable practical" (statement from the regs) i check that its not spured off a spur off a etc. etc.
as you "delve" behind the scenes of an installation, generally you can tell from the workmanship what horrors (if any), your likely to find.

once did a job for a bloke and his missus. found out he was a manager at wicks......that really explained a lot.......(i'll try and find the pictures)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back