Mira Aquations Shower/No hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My Mira Aquations shower has been playing up for many months now. After inquiring with Mira what to do about this I first of all exchanged the (£50+) cartridge, this at first gave an improvement but not a cure. I then consulted Mira again and they insisted that the pipework feeding the shower was creating air locks. So I have now recked the inside of our airing cupboard and rearranged the plumbing so there is now no possibility of air locking. The problem persists, in fact it is now worse than ever as now the cold will not come through either.

Incidentally this is not pumped and the head from the storage is about 3 to 3.5 meters, ample I would think. The pipework also passes by the shower and feeds the rest of the house no problem. When first installed the shower was absolutely perfect and worked well for about 18 months. From then on the only way to get it running each morning was to rattle the temperature control back and forth until there was a pop and the hot would come through. Once this was done the shower would work perfectly for each user then when left for a couple of hours it would stop once again.

Help me please, this is doing my head in!

Sponsored Links
I know you're certain that the pipework is correct, but can you describe it so that we know what we're dealing with?

Please include in your description the method of connection to the hot tank.

I have a storage tank raised high in the loft giving about 3.5 meters of head piped down to an emersion tank directly beneath it. The feed off the emersion tank at one time came off imediatly at right angle then teed up for the vent and down to the Mira shower mixer.

This has now been altered and the feed from the imersion comes off at 45 degrees then tees off again at 45 degrees back down to the shower mixer sited within the wall next to the tank. There is no possabilty that this could cause air locks anymore as this is a smooth rise up to the vent. It is the same with both hot and cold supply they both feed the shower then go on the supply the rest of the house.

To begin with this was a hot water problem, it is now both hot and cold. I have swapped the mixer cartridge back and forth from the original to the new replacement and back again so many times they've been in and out more times than a rabbit. I can get some cold water coming through when the mixer is turned right back to the stop on the cold side but that is all.

Please let me know if this is still not enough information

Many thanks for your input.

Many thanks for all the help that did'nt arrive.

For everyone's information, including the so called techies at Mira I have discovered the problem that caused the blockage to the water flow through my Mira Aquations shower.

There are two strainers situated in front of two checkvalves (some kind of one way valves) on the hot and the cold supplies. I was advised to clean the strainers and replace to see if this made any difference. (Otherwise it's a £69 call out for a Mira engineer, I don'nt think so.)

Well no, the strainers were already clean but what I found is the checkvalves had stuck shut. Possibly a design fault but we shall see when they stick again if I am right.

Why Mira could not have pointed me in this direction many months ago I don't know as I feel sure that someone must have come across this problem before.

I any case for those experiencing problems with water flow on a Mira shower I would advise looking at the checkvalves first, before spending bundles on Mira spare parts.

Yours Soul-man (angree) :evil:

Sponsored Links
On stripping shower down to fit cartridge would imagine most people would check they are getting an adequate flow through both supplies/ perhaps mira also thought this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back