Mira Sport Max 10.8KW Running Cold (Attempted Repair Gone Bad?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

Thank you for these forums first off, I have often found the answers I need here without having to post a question which is great, however this time my problem might be a bit bespoke!

So to set the scene I have a Mira Sport Max and it has had a few problems over the last 6 months. Firstly it used to go hot to cold which I sorted by taking off the thermal cut-out and cleaning/sanding. Then in the last few weeks it had developed a whining noise, but I could live with it as we are soon to replace the shower. However, on Monday something gave up and we had to turn the temperature all the way up to get it to be warm/hot.

After previously researching the whining noise and people suggesting the flow valve I assumed this had completely gone so I got a new one. When taking the shower apart it was clear that the thermal cutout had failed and had burnt out (the top plastic bit had popped off and one of the metal connectors had come loose) - I have just replaced this, but I now have the following problem:

NO HOT WATER :( - when on max the "Overheat" light comes on. When turning hot to cold the pressure changes so something is working but there is absolutely no heat. What could this be? I have tried running without the hose on etc but figure this is all as a result of the original problem or something I have missed putting it back together. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help

Jake

Sponsored Links
We moved in 6 months ago but no idea how old the shower is.....

Seems a bit dodgy for three things to break at once :cry:

Sponsored Links
*Potentially* three things

Heater tank doesn't make sense, before I changed the thermal cutout and the flow valve it was giving some heat......

Was hoping I made a silly mistake putting back together

OK ignore me then, your symptoms point to flow valve and or heater issue. You say you have installed new flow valve, so next is to look at heater.
Some heat! does not indicate that the heater is performing efficiently! Some heat, seems to suggest maybe it is not!
In my opinion you are throwing good money at bad.
It is impossible to assess if you have made a bad connection or an incorrect one, as you did it and was not being supervised and very likely did not take notes or evidence of how the original set-up was.

Sorry, I was not trying to ignore or disbelieve you, i'm probably just being over optomistic. I had read another thread where someone had a similar problem after changing a flow valve and it turned out to be a contact that didn't go back together properly. I took photos before taking apart and *think* I put it all back together properly, I was just hoping that someone might have had this very specific problem before

I will be taking your advice later today however if nothing else becomes obvious

Cheers again for replies

TBH without going through it with a multimeter, checking for outputs and continuity it's going to be hard for you to come up with what's wrong and therefore a fix.

As @FiremanT recommends, once it's got to that point then it's time for a new shower

TBH without going through it with a multimeter, checking for outputs and continuity it's going to be hard for you to come up with what's wrong and therefore a fix.

As @FiremanT recommends, once it's got to that point then it's time for a new shower

????o_O:)

Sorry, wasn't being weird or moody - I jusdjusdt think you have the wrong guy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back