mira sport shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just had one give me can i do a straight swap onto 6mm cable ne help thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello,

I think we may need to know a bit more info here,

What is the mcb rating, how long the cable 'run' is, where the cable runs, ( in insulation ? ) ??, at present.

Ta.
Ed.

Sponsored Links
the cable run is about 5 mtrs to double pole switch and is run i surface yt2 trunking to yhe loft for about 3 mtrs and currently on a 30 amp rewirable fuse and never had any probs in the last 10 yrs does this help

Hello,

I personally would put a 10mm cable in for a 9kw 'load', and a 40 a mcb.

Are you still coming from the 'rewirable' fusebox ??

RCD ?

Ed.

EdwardCurrent said:
I personally would put a 10mm cable in for a 9kw 'load', and a 40 a mcb.

Only necessary if the installation conditions are unfavourable.

6mm² is good for 46A clipped direct at a length of about 25m.

Hello Ricicle,

But in this case do we not take the YT2 mini trunking as being an 'unfavourable' installation method ?? and adjust cable size to suit ?

Not picking, just curious.
Cheers,
Ed.

Yeah, sorry didn't see the YT2 bit :oops:

6mm² good for 38A (in YT2), but 40A OCD is needed for the 9kw load so 10mm² it is.

Full marks to you Ed.I'm off to bed.............................. ;)

6.0mm² in YT2 surley well exceeds the fill capacity of the trunking

confused so the 6mm no good staying on rewirable fuse upgraded to the trip type 40 amp or what if i put yt4 trunking up instead

Hello Tashie,

I think that it would still be classed as 'in trunking', sorry. :confused:

The 'cables' rating is influenced by its method of installation. As Ricicle said, if it was 'clipped direct' (surface), the 6mm would be fine.
But getting rid of the trunking, and clipping the cable, you may still have part of the run coming into contact with insulation, etc ???
What KW rating was your old shower ? Have you binned it, or was it broken ? :eek:
Do you know the supply 'type' of the property,(TN-S, TT etc), or more to the point, Have you RCD protection on this circuit ?

Hope this is of some help.
Ed.

tn-s system not rcd protected so advice from start to finish please old shower works ok having bathroom modernised

You need to make sure your incoming supply can stand the increased load. Your consumer unit - if it is brown or possibly cream with a wooden base - will not have a 100A main switch and is NOT designed for any load greater than 32A.

So you will either have to replace it, or add a further unit for the shower. It must be RCD protected if the shower manufacturers advises.

The rest of the installation may need upgrading too:

Main Equipotential Bonding to service pipes.

Supplementary bonding to bathroom.

Make sure your supply fuse, meter & tails are all rated to 100A.

Don't cover the cable with insulation & do use (if necessary) YT3 min.

Make sure your DP switch is rated to 40A min as well.

The reason that the 3036 fuse did not blow is that it takes approximately 2x the rated current to trip instantaneously.

A small overload can be withstood for a long period of time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back