Mira Zest Shower blowing fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rental property with a Mira Zest shower which the tenant tells me is not working correctly. He says that the shower is blowing the fuse in the on/off pull switch. He has replaced the fuse and the shower will work for a couple of weeks before it blows again. I'm assuming he is replacing a 13amp fuse. There is a 17th edition board supplying the shower. This is not tripping. Any suggestions as to what might be causing the fuse to blow will be welcomed. Thanks in advance.....Eric :)

Sponsored Links
What power rating is the shower ?

If it is more than 3 kw then the 13 amp fuse will blow after a period of time as the shower will be taking more than 13 amps. During that time the fues will bcome warm if not hot and damage or degredation of fuse holder will occur.

If that is the case then the electrical installation is incorrect and the switch needs replacing with a non fused switch. The cable size needs to be checked to ensure it is the correct size for the power required by the shower.

I fear that the use of a fused switch may mean the cable is only rated for 13 amps and may not even be a dedicated shower supply.

As the landlord it is your responsibility to ensure the electrical installation is safe,

I didn't know you could get pull-cord FCUs....

What power rating is the shower ?
The smallest Mira Zest is 6.9-7.5kW (230-240V)

As the landlord it is your responsibility to ensure the electrical installation is safe,
barkeep - that includes a responsibility to not let incompetent people (e.g. tenants) to carry out electrical installation work, and not sending in incompetent people yourself.

Who installed the shower?

Did they give you an electrical certificate for it?

Did you get a Building Regulations completion notice for it?

Hi all

The shower was already in the property when I bought it. Before letting I had the board upgraded to a 17th edition board, and a full electrical check for the required safety certificate. There has been no problem with it until he called me yesterday. I can't remember without going up to see, if the pull switch is fused, and not sure what fuse he has changed. The cable into the shower is 10mm.
Just rang him to find out what fuse he is talking about but he's not in. Will update asap.
Thanks.....Eric :)

Sponsored Links
Do not put off the inevitable. If you or your tenant are not deemed competant in law then you must not work on the electrical system so you must use a competant electrician to sort out the problem for you.

There is not a fuse in an electric shower pull switch (or any other pullswitch as far as I know) so already your tenant is playing around with what he shouldn't be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back