Mirror Demister Pad - Orientation

SBW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mirror Heating Pad
Hi I am hoping to install a mirror fitted with a demister pad and completely inset by tiling.
The mirror dimensions are approximately 830mm x 480mm and for this I would expect a heat pad (power ~20watts) of approximately 500mm x 300mm to be ideal.
However the firms I have contacted assume the mirror will be orientated in the landscape form (the mains cable terminating in one of the pads longer sides at the top)
I am aware that I can rotate the pad to match the orientation of the mirror but the space behind is a little tight and I do not want to risk snagging the power cable, also as most come pre fitted with a power cable of only 1 metre, this wastage would necessitate jointing the power cable.
Question:
Where can I buy mirror heater pad where the cable enters the pad via one of the shorter sides? i.e. if the demister was suspended by the cable it would have a portrait orientation.
Thank you
Barry

Sponsored Links
Does it matter how you orientate it? Or which side the wire enters?

(Disclaimer: I have never used or installed one of these but I would love one)

Hi Steve,
Unfortunately the answer is yes. If I rotate a conventional demister pad through 90 degrees to suit the orientation of the mirror (portrait) I would loose approx 400mm of cable (remember it still has to exit the mirror at its top centre for convenience of connection to the supply). Also as the mirror is being fixed to the wall using mirror adhesive any high spots on the wall if crossed by this extra cable could prevent the mirror bedding correctly.
Thanks for the reply
Barry

Hi Steve,
Unfortunately the answer is yes. If I rotate a conventional demister pad through 90 degrees to suit the orientation of the mirror (portrait) I would loose approx 400mm of cable (remember it still has to exit the mirror at its top centre for convenience of connection to the supply). Also as the mirror is being fixed to the wall using mirror adhesive any high spots on the wall if crossed by this extra cable could prevent the mirror bedding correctly.
Thanks for the reply
Barry

Sponsored Links
How will anyone know there is a cable hidden behind the tiles ?.

I doubt anyone fitting something to the wall and drilling holes would consider a mirror as being an electrical accessory creating safe zones.

Safe zones are areas on a wall where there may be cables buried. By not drilling in these areas the cables are kept safe, drilling in them can be un-safe for the person holding the drill.

Hi Bernardgreen,
Even with my lack of knowledge on such matters I can appreciate the validity of your post, however such devices are pretty common both in domestic and commercial environments. I would have thought using a cable detector would be good practise when drilling into any area of a wall.
Thanks for your post (food for thought)
Barry

I personally wouldn't look at a mirror as an electrical appliance hence Bernardgreen does have a very valid point.
On the other hand if there was some sort of electrical accessory box above the said mirror it would make me think twice.
How maintainable will the mirror be, i.e. if the heater goes pop how do you replace it?

Hi Spark123,
I tend to think that when the heater goes “pop” there is little anyone can do. I think the basic choice is either to continue using it as a conventional mirror or to literally chop it out and replace the whole lot completely. Remember the rear of the mirror and the heating pad(s) is completely bonded to the wall with a very powerful adhesive, it has to be, some of the mirrors I have seen in hotels etc are quite (very) large.
Thanks for the post
Barry

Would you have some sort of conduit linking behind the mirror upwards to a connection box so you don't have to smash the tiles off to get the cable out? Steel conduit would be my preference.

Hi Spark123,
Thats probably a good suggestion.
Thank you
Barry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back