missing stop cock in street

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1970`s built detached house on a typical estate,my stop cock in the house is leaking slightly and needs changing,the only problem is i can`t see a stop cock outside in the pavement ?,the houses either side of me and across the road all have one in the pavement outside there house,but there is not or i can`t find one outside of mine. I s this severn trent my water companies responsibility ? can anyone advise me as to where its gone or why there is not one there and will severn trent sort it out.

Sponsored Links
Hopefully not,no sign of cast iron lid in pavement and everything is pretty open so its not as if it could have been done by accident,if there is not one will severn trent put one in ?,after all how would they be able to cut me off if i refused to pay ?(not that i`m planning this)

Sponsored Links
very funny,at least you did`nt say with a great deal of difficulty,but seriously what can i do if stop cock needs changing and there is no stop cock in street ?

Call whoever it is you pay money to for your water supply, and ask them to come and isolate the supply so that you can change the stop cock.

They're entitled to charge you for the work, even if the work is merely to find their service valve and stand there pointing a finger at it.

Or, as Dan implied, you can recreate this little scene... :D

pirel2.jpg

Are you sharing a supply with your neighbour ?

I live in a detached house and both myself and neighbour are on the same stopcock !!

i intend to get a plumber to change the stop cock,they never mentioned any charges when i phoned severn trent to ask for a engineer to locate

Different companies have differnt ideas, and was only half joking - it's called "snatching" where you have a stiff drink, set everything up, wear something old and do it very quickly.

telecoms said:
i intend to get a plumber to change the stop cock,they never mentioned any charges when i phoned severn trent to ask for a engineer to locate
You're lacky! Three Valleys Water are not so benevolent.

i`m not that experienced in plumbing so i don`t think i`ll try snatching on a main incoming water main,my wife would kill me and the kids can`t swim yet :D

Go for it - sell tickets to neighbours and friends - recoup the cost of cleaning and drying the whole kitchen. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back