Mist coat sticky??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a little bit of spare time on my hands at the moment, hence the mini comeback recently, and was wondering if I should make an effort to write a sticky with the basics of mist coating, PVA, etc. It wouldn't give definitive answers to all questions, as we all know that different circumstances require different methods, but would help those who are just wanting to know the basics.

I think this would be worthwhile as there are so many topics posted on the same subject. I know many of the regulars here think the same but I don't want to spend time doing it if is something that would stop members posting replies as I also know that this site is a bit of a getaway and many enjoy replying.

If I do write one, how do I make it into a Sticky? Is it something that has to be done by Admin or the Moderators? Do I have to alert them to the thread so they can turn it into one?

I'm almost sure I read somewhere on the site a long time ago how it works but can't for the life of me find it now. Maybe it was a dream! :confused:

I suppose I'm just trying to gauge opinions within the Decorating Forum before starting.

mrH :)

Sponsored Links
Ha! I read the thread title and thought that you meant you had a problem with your mist coating ending up being sticky to the touch!

Duh. :confused:

Ignore me. Sounds like a good idea for a permanent thread.

Its a cracking idea MrH but i don't think you can do stickies on this site. I've suggested it several times on threads related to mist coating and have offered to do it myself with no answer from mods.
We need several stickies (yellowing gloss)??!!, but mods appear to just expect the regulars to keep answering the same posts over and over.

Hope you're well and happy!

I think you may be right there, dcdec.

After my original post suggesting the idea of writing a Sticky, I was thinking that one for a mist coating alone was probably a bit pointless. We really need one that covers the very basics of everything to do with decorating, but that would become a bit like a novel. :eek:
I'm certainly no author, so wouldn't go into that much depth myself, but maybe there is a budding one among us. (There is definitely a renowned one who we may be able to talk into it. No names, emilybronte. ;))

I know you have raised the issue a few times before but didn't realise you had offered to do it yourself. I think I read somewhere that you need to alert Admin to a thread in order to get it turned into a Sticky, or maybe contact them beforehand, which is why I was asking if anyone knew. I'm still debating the idea while I sit here twiddling my thumbs but have started wondering if it would really be worth it, especially now that I know you have already asked. :confused:

BTW, I'm doing pretty well thanks - hope you are too. :)

Sponsored Links
Mods/management seem pretty scarce round here, i have absolutely no idea who they are but it would be nice to have a bit of co-operation every now and again, after all regular posters contribute to lining someone's pockets with advertising revenue. Another well known diy site is actively moderated and has available stickies, a much better model. I do feel a bit of a mug on here sometimes with such little help from 'management'. I don't post that much now either because the same questions keep coming up and i rarely answer a thread by someone with half a dozen posts or less as they rarely give a thank you or give any indication that they have even read the reply.

Glad you're doing well, are you in the states now? I think EmilyB is the most articulate amongst us and could write an easy to understand sticky.

Glad you're doing well, are you in the states now?

Not yet - that's why I have some spare time to sit here twiddling my thumbs. I'm just waiting on some (delayed :evil:) official paperwork to come through from over there and then I'll be off. It's not just us here in the UK that have so much red tape! :evil:

I have written a fair few essays in my time but I have to admit that I would find 'How to understand sticky' would baffle me.

Please clarify!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back