Mixer Shower Inlet Filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a mixer shower running of a combi boiler.
For 18 months is has been great.
Recently it has failed to get very hot.
I took it off the wall and found that the non-return valve was stuck in the hot water inlet elbow. I freed it off and have put the shower back together.
The temperature of the water is now better but still not as hot as it should be. If I feel the hot elbow it is very hot so I'm presuming the valve is still not opening fully.
Is there anything I can do to sort this out?
Would it cause problems if I removed this valve?
Cheers for any tips, as i don't fancy taking the shower to bits regularly to free it.

Sponsored Links
try it with it out.
if not then the thermostatic cartridge can be sticking.
they are their to prevent crossover from cold to hot etc.

Cheers,
I've just tried it with the valve out but unfortunately cold water is then drawn through the mixer into the hot feed to the bathroom taps so I've had to put it back in.
I've stripped the mixer down and can't work out what the cartridge is.
I'll keep trying different things I suppose until I've had enough and bite the bullet and buy a new mixer.

Sponsored Links
Hope thats what you mean, I have taken the picture off bathstore website. Thats where I bought the shower from a couple of years ago.

I stripped it down by removing the temp control then on/off control. That brings me to the valve body with the splines of the controls sticking out of the front. 3 screws release the innards from the valve body. I've done that and don't recognise a sealed cartridge or similar. It seems to be a series of ports controlled by the middle moving back/forward as the control handle is turned.

it maybe like the hudon reed and sirrus showers.

SIRRUS20ANTIQUE20THERMOSTATIC20-202.jpg

19 is the thermostat.

That looks very similar, and part 19 looks like a part in mine.
I thought that piece was just a brass rod, with a rubber sleeve over one end.
Is there something I need to check on it, or do to it?

i had one on a hudson red fail and i had to buy a new one.
but was no way of checking it or descaling it like a normal thermostatic cartridge.

did your just start running only warm ?

Yeah...it seemed to go from being able to run with plenty of heat to hardly luke warm in a short space of time. I'll hopefully get some time tomorrow to strip it down and try again tomorrow.

If I can't sort it I'll have to get me wallet out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back