Mixing Shower cable Size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of putting a new bathroom in and the shower cable needs replacing as its too small.

Accessing the CU to install a new cable is nearly impossible but a number of years ago I had 16mm t&e running from the CU up into the attic which was to be used to power the outside sheds but that will never happen since I got a new supply installed outside.

There is enough run of cable to feed the shower.

My question is whether I could stick with the 16mm or should I use 10mm from the isolator to the shower and if that is the case, is there any issues with regards to mixing 16mm and 10mm together.

I know a lot of people will say 16mm is overkill but the isolator seems to be well designed so wiring 16mm into it shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would personally keep with 16mm along the whole circuit.
But there would be nothing electrically unsafe by using 10mm for the remainder, just document this on the certificate.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the replies.

I suppose a downside in using 16mm at the shower would be the connecting of it. It could be awkward and 10mm would be easier.

I'll try 16mm and see how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back