Mobile 4G

E

EddieM

As some on here will know I have a tetchy relationship with mobiles, but I have to say I am very impressed so far with 4G it's proper quick!

So if you get the option to upgrade (esp for nowt) jump at it, it's cracking... now that is something I thought I'd never say about mobile internet cos in the past I've always found it painfully slow.

Sponsored Links
My Nexus 5 has been 4G capable since I bought it nearly a year and a half ago. Unfortunately, there are not too many places (at least where I travel) that have 4G coverage, although that is increasing apparently (Three).

Hi JB

City Centre has it. Used it extensively in the MRI to watch Netflix on my Mega.

I'm on Three as well and the streaming was seamless.

Sadly SK7 is not 4G... ;)

Eddie: good to know you are feeling a bit more upbeat about this new-fangled tech!

BTW, what handset have you got now?

My son has had a well-used second hand S4 now for a year without any hitches.

My personal feeling is that all phones (nay all products) have good and bad examples out there.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
I just wish my 2g would work.
All this 4g stuff, they should concentrate on rural, make life easy let us roam for free, if our residence is in poor/no coverage.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Hi JB

City Centre has it. Used it extensively in the MRI to watch Netflix on my Mega.

I never venture into Manchester city centre. I once drove in there (to drop my first wife off to a girls' night out) and I couldn't get out again. :eek:

@securespark its a galaxy s4. Not upgrading any time soon, it's well over my complexity level. I still have no proper idea how to use it. I only need Internet, messaging, email and phone capability. Don't need or want to understand the rest.

And I still have precisely no idea what a widget is.. no need to explain I'm not interested.

All that from someone who works in IT :LOL:

Hi Eddie: TBH, that's mostly what I use mine for.

Plus I use the calendar.

Sometimes it's handy to use the Nav and when I'm stuck in hospital I watch a lot of films on it, thanks to Three's unlimited data.

JB: I am surprised! You don't sound like the sort of fella who would get lost!

I only need Internet, messaging, email and phone capability.

And camera? Don't forget that.

And how about calculator, clock/alarm clock, maps (and can do the same as a sat-nav), books (can do the same as a Kindle), Smart Tools (includes measuring of distance, angles, spirit level, etc), Smart Voice Recorder (you can surreptitiously record telephone calls!), Sudoku?

If it weren't for all those (which I personally find useful), I'd be carrying everything but the kitchen sink!

JB: I am surprised! You don't sound like the sort of fella who would get lost!

I defy any normal person not to get lost in that rabbit warren of one-way streets.

Having said that, the wife seems to manage well enough, but she seems to have a better sense of direction than me.

It was even more fun in the 80's!

There was a period when it seemed like every day almost the one way system had changed...

• Thanks
I only need Internet, messaging, email and phone capability.

And camera? Don't forget that.

And how about calculator, clock/alarm clock, maps (and can do the same as a sat-nav), books (can do the same as a Kindle), Smart Tools (includes measuring of distance, angles, spirit level, etc), Smart Voice Recorder (you can surreptitiously record telephone calls!), Sudoku?

If it weren't for all those (which I personally find useful), I'd be carrying everything but the kitchen sink!

Don't take many pictures, dont use the calculator, don't use the alarm clock, don't trust the "smart tools" how would you measure distance with a phone? Dont use the recorder, have a basic kindle as my phone is always flat or about to go flat. Occasionally use the sat nav, but as I am a bit deaf I cant hear what it says but then as I drive only 2000 miles a year that doesnt matter. I sit staring into a computer screen all day so really its only phone, internet, messaging that I use.

I spend a vast amount of time (and money) on trains, ironically mobiles dont work well at all when they are mobile!

No good for measuring a room, then?

;)

It depends. If I wanted to measure the dimensions of a room accurately I'd use a tape measure (I don't have one of those fancy laser measurers).

If I wanted to know the approximate height of a tree it would be perfectly adequate, and my tape measure doesn't go that far!

When I first downloaded the app, I thought I'd test it to measure the (known) height of a door. To do that, I had to accurately measure (using a tape measure) the distance from the door to where I was standing with my phone. Then I centred the cross hairs at the bottom of the door, then the top, and the resulting measurement was accurate to less than half an inch.
So, yes, it doesn't provide all the answers, but can have applications where a measurement (perhaps where access is not possible) can be obtained using another known measurement.

Sponsored Links
Back