Moisture behind a tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have started tiling my bathroom 3 days back. I have putting a tile on the batern today and as I was putting it on the tile above got forced a little and came off. The adhesive wasn't pressed to the wall much.

The problem is, there was signs of moisture on the wall, where the tile came off from. Just little droplet. and the adhesive wasn't fully dry. This wall has been without any covering for a month or so and there were never any signs of moisture.

What could be the cause of this moisture. and is this something to worry about. I'm worried about the tiles coming loose. I'm near the end too :(

Sponsored Links
If it's and external wall it will be colder this time of years and adhesive will take longer to set, tiles should be push tight to wall, the moisture was probably from the adhesive.Are you applying adhesive using comb method?

What are you tiling onto, plasterboard, plaster, render, brick, paint? If paint, what type of paint? What tiles are you laying? What make/type of adhesive are you using? &, as already said, what type/size of trowel are you using?

To be honest if the tiles are still moving or easily dislodged after 24 hours it doesn’t sound promising!

I'm tiling on a mixture of surfaces. The wall in question was an outside wall. and the tile in question was on an uneven surface so it wasn't making good contact with the painted wall. Thinking about it now, the piece that came off was cut with a electric cutter, so the back could have had water on it. Its the little water droplets that scared me.

The adhesive is sothing like aquabond (don't have the tub here) and I'm using a notched trowell to aply the adhesive. The tiles and ceramic with clay sort of backing. 17 inch by 12 inch.

Should I give the tiles few days to dry before I grout?

Sponsored Links
440mmx300mm and your using "TUBBED"adhesive...!!!!!. :rolleyes:

aint going to work mate!!!!!...

you will need to strip, scrape the addy of the tiles and the wall and use a "BAGGED" adhesive(cement based)..or you will be waiting till next year for them to set.

p.s ..this painted wall..what type of paint is it?

aint havin a pop or laughing ere mate just trying to keep you right. ;)

what other surfaces do you have?..that you are tiling onto.

Think I am gonna pump up the heating for a few days and see how it goes. I just almost finishes it today. So can't imagine taking them off :( or I will be stressed lol

Well there are two walls with plaster board on them, on which the tiles seem solid. One wall with skim and tiles seem ok on this one too. I made the mistake of not preparing one wall properly. The wall was bumpy so the adhesive wasn't making good contact with all of the wall.

The paint, I think is the waterproof bathroom paint. But its not really on much of the wall.

Wouldn't the grout keep the tiles in place, once I have grouted. I don't want them falling on some one :(

Btw here are some pics of the the work. This was day one.

With tictic on this one, too late for stress M8 :cry: ; gheeze with that size tile you’ve made a serious mistake with your choice of adhesive & thats why your having problems, if you don’t strip while you can, it will come back & bite you before too long & then it will be even more difficult to put right. What weight are those tiles? The suitability of plaster skim is also doubtful; even if they appear to have stuck well, the weight limit is 20 kg/sqm including cement addy at 3-4kg! Unfortunately the grout won’t keep the tiles in place in the longer term & they may well fall off before too long; please don’t say you also PVA’d the tile base!

I think I will have to redo the tiling with the bagged adhesive. Because I tried to remove a tile today by hand and it came off without much force. It was tiles few days back.

Just wondering which type of bagged stuff I would need? and do I still apply it with a notched trowel? How much of the adhesive can I mix at one time? I mean do they dry quick or would it be ok for a day to use?

One more question, If the cuts (upto the size of half a tile) are dried and fix properly. Should I leave them? or take them off too. As they might be scrap if taken off, because dry adhesive won't come off the tiles.

I think I will have to redo the tiling with the bagged adhesive. Because I tried to remove a tile today by hand and it came off without much force. It was tiles few days back.
I think that’s an extremely wise decision. Personally I would advise you take the lot down. The addy should scrape off but if stubborn, try soaking in water; it should soften as it (hopefully) won’t have fully cured. Don’t try sticking the wet tiles straight back on the wall though, let dry face down overnight.
Just wondering which type of bagged stuff I would need? and do I still apply it with a notched trowel? How much of the adhesive can I mix at one time? I mean do they dry quick or would it be ok for a day to use?
Generally you get what you pay for with this stuff; I always use BAL as I know their products; http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products
but equally good are Mapei, Webber, Ardex are some I know but there are others; steer well clear of cheapo DIY products sold by the major DIY sheds; B&Q sell Mapei but it’s not particularly cheap. If you use Topps for BAL go in scruffy, look like you know what you want & negotiate the price as, again, the standard retail price is a rip off; depends on local staff, sometimes it works but sometimes not. Use waterproof Flexible addy/grout an all boarded surfaces; you can use standard elsewhere but it rather depends how much you need in each area; sometimes it’s more cost effective to buy/use flexi all over.

Cement addy generally has a pot life of around 40 minutes but you should clean your bucket & tools well between each new batch or the old stuff will cause it to go off quicker. As your inexperienced, don’t mix up more than you can use in, say, 35 minutes which will give you enough time to clean everything down in between.

Trowel notch type/size depends on if it’s a wet or dry area & how flat your walls are but for your purposes, I would advise you stick to a solid bed round notch trowel - 20mm notches, 10mm deep, at 28mm centres. In dry areas you could drop the size of notches to save on addy but I think you would do best to stick with the same trowel; coverage from a 20kg bag in this case would be between 6-7 sq/m but I would plan for on 6. If you’ve got any Gypsum plaster or plasterboard surfaces you must prime them with an acrylic primer/sealer before tiling to avoid any reaction between the cement & gypsum.

Cement addy relies on chemical curing not evaporation (as tub mix) so you can grout after a few hours but I suggest you leave it overnight before. Don’t use the shower for at least 10 days.

if you have been using the bath and shower, you will get condensation, especially if it is an outside wall and especially if you do not use your extractor fan during and after every use.

Thanks for the advice.

I am looking at this combination

Mapei Tile Adhesive Primer 1kg
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/87305...Adhesive-Grout/Mapei-Tile-Adhesive-Primer-1kg

Ultracolor Plus Grout Jasmine 5kg
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/63922...esive-Grout/Ultracolor-Plus-Grout-Jasmine-5kg

Bal Rapidset Grey 20KG

Does it sound ok. I can't seem to find a place local who sell Bal APD primer. Topps have BAL Bond SBR Primer 1ltr in stock. Should I go for this or Mapei Tile Adhesive Primer 1kg will do?

That all looks fine but I would advise you use products from the same manufacturer; as I said, B&Q stock Mapei addy but remembre to use flexible on any boarded tile base.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back