Moisture in my outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Can anyone advise I've recently had an outbuilding building. It's made of concrete breeze blocks with tiled roof. It has a French door and 2 windows.

During the last couple of day with the cold weather there seems to be a lot of moisture being build up inside. There is a lot of moisture on the windows and in the roof. The walls seem to be dry.

I just want to know how I can get rid of the moisture inside. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Congratulations, that must have hurt a lot.
You need to ventilate.

Ventilating on its own wont do.

Heating the space needs to be done to hold moisture in the air.

Uhmm, yes it will. My cloths dry fine on the line without me having to heat them.
Unless he is doing something very wet and/or steamy in there, a nice cross wind will get rid of any condensation.

Sponsored Links
hmm, yes it will. My cloths dry fine on the line without me having to heat them.

Put a big dome over your back garden and report back where the damp from your cloths goes to.

BTW, why do you wash cloths?

If i put a big dome over my back garden then there would be no ventilation.....
Are you saying If I heat my dome I would not get any condensation? Have you ever been to the Eden project?

Are you being daft on purpose? :p
My drop cloths....

If i put a big dome over my back garden then there would be no ventilation

Don't buy the cheap basic one then, or get the builder's number from stuart.

Fit your air bricks and let all the cold 90% humidity air in from outside, and see how dry your cloths get.

What was the problem before, I don't recall you posting about this. Were you drying cloths?
J Cloths so they could be reused.
Didn't post before because you don't take my posts seriously and give me silly answers.

A more sensible option is clearly to heat your hardly used outbuilding 24 hours a day, don't worry about the cost just wash some cloths to make up any expense.

A far better solution is to make sure you have a good cross ventilation when the building is not being used, when you need to heat it close this off.

Yes, nevermind humidity and dewpoints, and cold surfaces and things like that. It's all about ventilation.

Hang on, whats all this condensation doing on the outside of my car windows? :confused: Should I increase ventilation? How do I remove some of the troposphere, is there a sticky for this?

Yes, nevermind humidity and dewpoints, and cold surfaces and things like that. It's all about ventilation.
While I do totally agree and like to be an arse and disagree with everyone most of the time, the OP talks about damp in his roof which would really just benefit from, yes some heat, but also some ventilation.
If he was on about his tools getting rusty then I would agree with everything you had said.
You don't normally get condensation on timber if you have enough ventilation.

Sorry just having a bit of fun.

The thing with outbuildings, is that they are always cold, and have cold material surfaces and ventilation is never sufficient on its own to deal with the amount of condensation that develops because of the combination of all these factors. Moisture needs to be held in the air for the most part, and then ventilation is needed for the periods in between heating, or when the ambient air is warm enough to hold moisture without additional heat.

What I forgot to mention for the OP, is that he could remove the cold surfaces to prevent the moisture build up in the first place. Not remove them, but line them with something warmer. For the window, double glazing might do this, but otherwise no amount of heat or ventilation tends to stop it, but could reduce it.

That's it for now, I'm just off to report stuart's dome to the planners. Some people have no consideration for the neighbours :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back