Moisture meter reading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am in the process of buying a bunglow and I went around and probed every wall with a Stanley protometer. I got a reading of 0.6% on virtually every wall except the hallway which showed 1.2%.

I realise these meters are not a true indication of what is going on within a wall but give you an indication perhaps. I really don't know what the acceptable % range is for a wall to be ok.

I would be grateful if someone experienced in this field could enlighten me and maybe explain the readings.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately your readings are meaningless. The meter probably reads electrical resistance across the meter pins. There are lots of things that will cause a reading besides dampness so just getting a reading means little on its own. Besides, these meters are not designed to measure dampness in masonry. They are principally designed to measure moisture content of timber. But even then they need interpretation. You would be better off going by visual clues; does it look damp? Is there any disruption of the plaster/decor? are there surface salts present?

I probed every wall with a Stanley protometer...........I got a reading of 0.6% on virtually every wall except the hallway which showed 1.2%.......I would be grateful if someone experienced in this field could maybe explain the readings.

As said your probing and the results are pointless.

A bit like a blind man with a telescope on a cloudy day.

Sponsored Links
are you sure the walls are not lined with foil?see that done and the reading went off the scale :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back