Monitor problem for Dell laptop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dad rang to say that the monitor on his laptop appears to not be functioning. Thought I’d ask a few questions so that I might be able to confirm whether or not this is the case. The laptop, a Dell Inspiron 6400, is about 5 years old and is used for about an hour or so three or four times a week. When switched on yesterday everything seemed to boot up but there was simply no screen image. He left it on for a few hours but still no image was visible on the screen.

Upon switching it on today there is a very weak image. He has tried altering the Fn brightness control but to no avail. Initially I would have thought this was clearly a monitor failure, but that he is able to now obtain a weak image, rather than no image at all, I am concerned that it might be something else. The laptop has been updated with all of the relevant drivers within the last six months. Does it sound like there might be an issue with the BIOS, perhaps?

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Does not sound like the BIOS in the slightest

The problem may be the inverter has become defective and needs looking at or replacing, purchase a set of electrical screw drivers (£5 for set of 6 Maplin) plus the same box set in T drivers, that is all you need

You may need to buy this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dell-6400-ins...opAccess_RL&hash=item2a10b60a45#ht_500wt_1156

Follow this video and check connection if still no joy buy what is in the link no more than £10, then simply follow the video to replace

I have taken apart laptops before and its in everyone's capability you just need patience and plenty of space to organise your tools and screws

Good luck, keep us informed

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for the links and advice, Lee. Very helpful.

It was just a shot in the dark, but I saw something on the web where a windows update had wrongly altered a display setting in the BIOS (from 8 to 3).

What I should have pointed out is that my dad lives about 150 miles away, so I am not able to check out the laptop for the moment. That said, I will have the necessary tools to carry out the work, so will order the inverter and give it a go. ;)

Should this not do the trick then presumably a new screen would be required?

Classic backlight failure. The image is being produced but there is no light shining through from the back to illuminate it.

As EFCLee1 says it may well be the inverter. It could be the fluorescent tube itself embedded in the panel, not sure if this machine would have one or two tubes. in theory it could be the lcd cable or even the motherboard, but these are unlikely.

Best guess would be the inverter.

Sponsored Links
plug it into a monitor via the port (blue), and plug a usb keyboard and mouse in it for the time being. this will at least give you a useable computer.

It has taken a while to deal with this issue but I have finally replaced the inverter and everything is back to normal, so thanks, guys, for your comments.

Lee: The video link was very helpful though it actually took me a couple of hours to install. As for the inverter itself, I purchased one that was just under £7 and coming from China. I must have missed the shipping period when I made the order, but it ended up taking about three weeks to arrive. Really not a prob though as I have only just managed to get to the folks place.

Also bunged in some extra memory - 2 Gbs from Crucial for a paltry £25 -so it all running tickety-boo. ;)

Back