More about Downlights and Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I moved into my bungalow a year ago there was no insulation to speak of in the loft space. if I had installed downlighters at that time I presumably would not have needed to take account of Part L .

If now having had insulation installed I install downlighters can I merely cut the insulation away at each location or do I also need to install insulation guards.

Sponsored Links
You should put a sealed enclosure over each light, which provides enough clearance for the lights and will support insulation going over the top of it.

It'll need sealing to the plasterboard, because now that the loft is insulated it will be cold up there, so you want to stop warm moist air from getting into the loft where it can condense and cause rot.

Or use a fitting that is itself sealed - both through the fitting, and between the fitting and ceiling. You will still need to maintain the right amount of clearance around the fitting according to the manufacturers instructions, and continue the insulation over the top of them (there are supports/boxes designed to hold the insulation up for this purpose).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back