More Jaguar woes

E

EddieM

The dash on the old bucket has just lit up like a Christmas tree. ABS fault, DSC off, Traction control off and no cruise control. From my limited understanding I would guess 1 or more wheel speed sensors has gone as all those functions would logically be dependent on knowing the speed the wheel was turning. Make sense?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Ookaaay... have to say I'm a bit skeptical but what do I know (don't answer that)

Ok, forgive me for appearing rude but I would like to seek a 3rd opinion on this.. I really for the life of me can't see why this would be a battery issue. But then again as I have said before I don't know much about cars (other than they are an expensive PITA)

If it's the battery I take it these lights come on at start up? Surely otherwise the alternator running would mask a dying battery?

I believe its something to do with the onboard computer going barmy due to undervoltage

Fitting a new battery, it resets when reconnected after having been off, and starts up in default (e.g. electric windows one-touch preferences, console screen display, learned gearchange pattern go back to factory settings, possibly suspension height and level, I don't know what else, then it relearns them after a while or when you re-enter your preferences), and also picks up all the (many) signals from electronic sensors and returns to normal.

Last edited:
What about starting it using jump leads to confirm/eliminate the duff battery theory?

If you need a new battery, try the Battery Megastore in Tewkesbury, online. They delivered one to me for less than my local factor could buy it.

The original is probably a Varta Silver with a cat badge on it. Very good battery. If you email Varta they will tell you the current battery code. The date code of your old one will be stamped on it. If it's 10 years, I bet it's duff.

IME the amount of time you spend footling about with a duff battery is wasted and you will end up buying a new one. You can try putting a charger on yours overnight. Disconnect it while recharging and reconnect when full. There may be a Shipping Condition connector by the battery but I have never used it. Some Jags have huge engines and huge batteries. It is possible for a mender to clear the error codes with a laptop and special app but with luck it will reset once the battery is good.

You can try the two forums in my links (one is mostly UK, the other full of Septics) but I think you will be told the same.

The manufacturer advises against trying to start with jump leads (either way) due to the onboard computer. It doesn't like surges and dips.

OK Ignore my idea about jump starting ! Thinking back my friend has a 2004 Seat Ibiza and one night all his dash lights lit up. He was told he needed a new battery and it's now been OK for years . A new battery is a good place to start if your's is old and with winter not long away

Thanks for the replies guys but it seems to have magically fixed itself. I knew if I ignored it long enough it would go away :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back