More loft conversion questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Loft conversion nearing an end now - got a couple of questions that will help me decide if I need to pull the builder up on some points :

1. Wiring - in the eaves we have a little storage space - there are some electrical cables running in here that are not clipped down - should I insist this is done (i.e. is it in some sort of regs?), do it myself, or is that fine? Just thinking that if we do pull things in and out of that space it will be better if they are secured.

2. Extractor fan in bathroom - there is no ducting and when I asked the electrician when it was fitted he said it's not needed because roof void itself is vented - this one concerns me most.

Advice is greatly appreciated - it's easy as a homeowner to go too far one way or another - insist on silly things that aren't required, or be fobbed off by a builder who wants to get off the job and get paid!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
1) I'm not sure of the regs tbh but he ought to fix down the cables, if nothing else it is sloppy, especially if he knows they are to be used as storage.

2) You definitely need ducting and a tile vent, I would be very suspicious of everything else he does if he thinks its ok to vent into the loft void. :idea:

Agree entirely with freddy's appraisal. Somehow I think the electrician's ducking the ducting issue - either core drill through a gable end and run ducting through this, or fit a roof vent tile

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back