Mortar under ridge tiles falling out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
4 years ago, I got a loft extension done, contracted to a joiner, who contracted the roofing to a roofer.
I used an association of architects contract for it all, and it was signed without complaint.

I got on well with the joiner and I think roundly, he did a decent job.

However, recently (and before any bad weather) chunks of mortar have been falling out of the bed of mortar that the ridge tiles are sat on(its a massive bed of mortar..bigger than any other, I suspect so it looks like straight across the top into the dormer)
I've been reading up, and I don't know if it's the pointing or the underneath mortar, but they are sizeable chunk.
I worry, these are falling onto my patio, where the kids play (a load slid out the other day) and also I'm worried about the ridge tile coming out.

The joiner has been saying for a month that hes going to get a roofer out to check it out, and he never sends one. It's a shameas we've always got on so well.

I'm at the point where I think I need to take this into my own hands now. Do you think I could get another roofer to assess it all and I'll post him the quote? Is court action the next thing to do? I don't really have the money to pay out to get it all done then wait for the money back

Sponsored Links
Its best if the joiner sorts it so keep giving him a friendly prod. Can you contact the original roofer directly ?
Or maybe ask the joiner for his number.
A good local roofer should come and diagnose and give advice for free

Its best if the joiner sorts it so keep giving him a friendly prod. Can you contact the original roofer directly ?
Or maybe ask the joiner for his number.
A good local roofer should come and diagnose and give advice for free

As long as he knows the score, beforehand.

If the op is going to get a quote, send it to the joiner and use the quote in any future dispute then he should be told.

I wouldn't supply a free quote for litigation, why should I?
I'd want paying if that were the case.

Also I would not want to get involved in work where there's a conflict unless I was getting paid by the homeowner.

Disputes on who pays, who should pay and who is in the wrong should be of no concern to any future contractor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back