Mortice lock woes/stuck lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice

Yesterday as my daughter was going outside to play, she said the door 'made a funny noise' when she pushed the handle up.

When she later tried to get in the house the door wouldn't open and I couldn't open it from the inside either. I could turn the key and could hear when it was locking and un-locking but it wouldn't budge.

In my frustration (temper), I then was heavy handed with the key and the key has snapped in the lock although I can turn the lock with a screwdriver and I can still hear it locking and un-locking.

In summary

* door appears to be jammed although I suspect that it's just the 'main lock' and that the pins up and down the door can be unlocked
* snapped key in lock (have tried to ease it out with tweezers but no joy)

Reading online this seems to be a common problem of mortice locks failing - I had no idea of this - so am hoping I can get some advice.

Questions I have

* Are all mortice locks standard? I have a uPVC door
* Looking at the hinges (was thinking of taking the door off the frame), the hinges are nothing like I have seen - it looks like you need an allan key to remove the hinges. Am sure this isn't the case so if anyone could shed any light on that.

As the pins aren't locked, when the door is 'unlocked' there is a small space in the door.

I am really panicking here and of course don't want the expense of a locksmith so if anyone could assist me with any guidance I would be very grateful.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back