Moss preventative solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of a long shot, I feel......however, I'm looking for a solution that I can spray on my roof that can help ****** new moss growth.
The moss has gone now, but I'd like to delay it's return......my roof has concrete tiles with a rough patina, so the moss grips like hell.
Plenty of trees around too!
Any comments, anyone, and thanks
John :)

Sponsored Links
Curiously, I was considering a strip of copper sheet, say 100mm by 20 gauge, tucked under the top row of tiles so any rainwater wash would maybe give the same effect as your suggestion!
I believe moss doesn't like copper.
Cheers for the reply
John :)

Sponsored Links
I sprayed a moss killing solution on my roof..............I used a wire brush on a pole to knock off the big moss lumps then I used a mosskilling solution I got from amazon (5 litre of concentrate that u water down 20:1 with water. One year later still no moss n the tiles are much brighter than my neighbours!

there is a Product, copper ridge, but costs?

A pre shaped copper sheet is attached to the ridge, the rain hitting toe Copper produces Copper Sulphate that kills Moss.

Down side, cost of the Copper Ridge + I have seen a t least two Storm insurance Claims where the Copper ridge has been caught and buckled by storm force winds and the Copper Ridge with the clay or Concrete tiles attached moved Off the roof?

I often remove roof moss for customers, always manually with a scraper and brush.

I then apply diluted Benzalkonium Chloride onto the tiles, it's a chemical that can be found in dozens of commercial moss killing products.

I get mine from Bonnymans as they sell it at a whopping 50% concentration while most products at DIY stores are in the 2-15% range.

FYI I dilute it at 15 parts water to 1 part chemical.

You can buy it here - http://goo.gl/23ITgt I normally suggest a respray every 3 years to prevent any significant moss regrowth.

This is the sprayer I use - http://goo.gl/yPtciv but for a one off job you'll probably want something cheaper, you can get small 5litre sprayers for a fraction of that price.

Copper wire doesn't work very well at all. Copper strips are expensive and only work for a feet down the roof, leaving the tiles looking patchy/streaky.

Hope the info helps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back