MOT emissions failure on C02

Sponsored Links
I done a compression test on the golf today and the readings are -

Cylinder 1 Cylinder 2 Cylinder 3 Cylinder 4
Dry - 60psi 75psi 70psi 70psi
Wet - 75psi 85psi 75psi 76psi

Any thoughts on these readings?
They don't look too bad to me but cylinder 1 does look a tad low and cylinder 2 a tad high.

Thanks again guys!

The pressures are even enough, which is a good thing - but I would have expected to see much higher readings than that, 200 psi being typical.
Are you cranking the engine fast, and allowing each cylinder to go through the compression stroke about 4 times, throttle open full?
John :)

The Haynes manual says it should be around 7bar which is just over 100psi. A low reading in all cylinders.

I disconnected the lead to the rotor and spark leads, took out all the plugs, took the fuel pump fuse out and pressed the accelerator pedal all the way in while i turned it over with the key. All cylinders shot up to pressure nicely and I stopped turning the engine when they levelled out at around 4 or 5 turns...

Still, a low reading but somewhat similar...

Sponsored Links
My cheap 406 CAT "arrived" in the sense that I had to collect it from the dreadful Yodel depot after their delivery driver had just put cards through the door THREE times without knocking.

It does say that it is not type approved but then the vehicle if pre 201 so not needed to be an approved part. Will have to see how emissions are next year! In the meantime its just a bit of pipe!

Tony

If you use the same MOT station on a regular basis I would be inclined to call in and ask if they can quickly check the vehicle emissions.

That way if there is a problem you can simply return it while you still have benefit of Distance Selling Regulations.

At only £45 I don't think I am going to be very bothered even if it does little for the emissions. Quite happy to wait a year and see what happens at next year's MOT! I am much more concerned about the problems of fitting it because of the inaccessibility of the manifold to exhaust bolts.

It does have a warning on it though about not to use exhaust paste at the preceding joint in case it poisons the catalyst!

The 206 CATs are in about three different models, 1.4/1.6 petrol, 2.0 petrol ( like mine ) and 1.9 diesel. I also have a spare new Cat and centre box but for the 1.4/1.6 petrol.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Back